Thursday, October 1, 2026

WEST WING TRANSCRIPT: Season Seven - The Last Hurrah (S7E20)

THE WEST WING
7x20 – “THE LAST HURRAH”
WRITTEN BY LAWRENCE O’DONNELL
DIRECTED BY TIM MATHESON

Transcribed by Walking, Talking, And Yelling At Clouds (kegofglory.blogspot.com)

Link To My Blog Post For This Episode


TEASER

THE LAST HURRAH

FADE IN: EXT. – VINICK’S FRONT DOOR – MORNING

SENATOR ARNOLD VINICK, in his pajamas and bathrobe, opens his front door. On the doorstep are a few newspapers, including today’s Washington Post, with a photo of MATT and a headline reading, ‘Santos Still Undecided On Vice President.’ VINICK comes outside to pick up the papers. He looks skeptically at a woman passing by walking her dog, who looks at him as if she recognizes him from somewhere. VINICK goes back inside.

CUT TO: EXT. – STREET NEAR THE TREASURY BUILDING – MORNING

MATT is on the sidewalk, heading for his limo. Crowds of people nearby cheer and chant his name, as he waves and smiles. He gets into the limo.

CUT TO: INT. – VINICK’S DC HOME – MORNING

VINICK settles into a chair. He puts down his Vinick For President coffee mug, and with newspapers on his lap, reaches for the remote and turns on the TV. He puts on his glasses and looks at the Post with the Santos story on the front. We hear a weather report on the TV.

WEATHERMAN (VO, on TV)
With the cold front moving into the Midwest, it’s expected to drop a foot of snow in downtown Des Moines, and at least 15 inches in the outer-lying areas. We’re getting reports in the last hour of flurries in Washach County, and also -

CUT TO: INT. – CONFERENCE ROOM – MORNING

MATT is ushered into a room full of military officers.

OFFICER
Gentlemen – 

MATT (shaking hands, quietly)
Good morning. Good to see you again. How you been?

MATT shakes hands and exchanges greetings with a couple of other military officers.

CUT TO: INT. – VINICK’S DC HOME – MORNING

VINICK, looking a bit at loose ends, looks at his telephone. He stands, goes to the phone, picks it up and dials. We hear a beep and then a recorded message on the other end of the line.

VOICE (VO, on phone)
This is Senator Vinick’s office. No one can take your call at the moment.

VINICK hangs up, tossing the phone on a sofa.

CUT TO: INT. – SENATE OFFICE HALLWAY – DAY

VINICK strides purposefully down the hall. There are only a couple of other people and security officers in the hall.

CUT TO: INT. – VINICK’S OFFICE – DAY

VINICK enters his office, which is full of boxes being packed up. His assistant ANNIE is putting files into one of those boxes.

ANNIE
Senator! What are you doing here?

VINICK
My office, isn’t it? At least for another month. Where’s Sheila?

ANNIE
Oh, she had a breakfast meeting. Job interview.

VINICK
With who?

ANNIE
Royce.

VINICK
Majority Leader wants her, huh?

ANNIE
Everybody wants her. Seems like every message I take now is a job offer for Sheila.

VINICK
I wanna call every state party chairman, starting with Iowa and New Hampshire. Thank them for what they did.

ANNIE (with some framed photographs)
Uhhh, should I pack these up and ship them to California, or do you want -?

VINICK
Did you hear me?

ANNIE
Uh, yeah – state party chairmen. Sure.

VINICK
Today.

ANNIE
I’ll go get the list.

VINICK
And I wanna call every member of my fundraising committee. And I wanna send letters to all the big contributors. (as ANNIE is almost out the door) Oh, and I should call every Republican governor. (ANNIE exits, uncertain of what’s going on) And give me that set of index cards you were keeping on everybody, you know, in every state we were in.

CUT TO: INT. – OFFICE – DAY

MATT, still surrounded by military officers, is talking to a group of reporters as cameras click.

MATT
Again, I don’t want to, uh, start making announcements about Cabinet posts until we have first made a decision about the Vice Presidency, which you all know is very important. Uh, I thank you all – (starting out) I have a very busy day today. Thank you.

CUT TO: INT. – VINICK’S OFFICE – DAY

VINICK is on the phone. ANNIE is continuing to pack boxes in the background.

VINICK (into phone)
Well, I just wanted to thank you again for all your hard work and to let you know that if there’s ever anything I can do for you – I’ll be on the next plane outta here. (beat, then, chuckling) Okay. Thanks, Al. (hangs up) Who’s next?

SHEILA (appearing in the doorway)
Hey! To what do we owe the honor?

VINICK (as a phone rings and ANNIE answers it)
I need to make some calls.

ANNIE (in background, into phone)
Senator Vinick’s office -

SHEILA
Well, we could use some help with the boxes.

VINICK
So, Royce, huh?

SHEILA
Maybe.

VINICK
Is he gonna run for President?

SHEILA
Nah, he knows he doesn’t have a chance, but I told him to keep the buzz going, it’ll help with the fundraising.

VINICK
So he wants you to run the Majority Leader’s office for him, huh?

ANNIE (hanging up)
Dr. Wexler’s office says they can move your physical up to today, but -

VINICK
Good, good, I wanna get that done right away.

ANNIE
But you gotta get over there right now.

VINICK (going to grab his coat)
Annie – get the thank-you letters done, and I’ll sign ‘em when I get back. And I want ten minutes with every Republican Senator before they kick me out of here.

SHEILA (as VINICK heads out the door)
Not too many of them around with the Senate out of session.

VINICK (as SHEILA and ANNIE follow him)
I’ll go to them. I’ll go to their home states, if I have to. I gotta thank them, I gotta let them know – well, hey; tell Bob I wanna go over the exit polls with him later.

VINICK walks off down the hall as SHEILA and ANNIE stand in the doorway.

ANNIE
Who’s gonna tell him?

SHEILA
What?

ANNIE
That the campaign is over.

SMASH CUT TO: MAIN TITLES.
END TEASER.
***

ACT ONE

FADE IN: INT. – TRANSITION OFFICE – DAY

There’s a murmur of activity among those working in the office as LOUISE walks in, talking on her cell phone.

LOUISE (into phone)
Adam – I’m not sure I can tell you or the Times how to cover a story. What I am saying is that if you report that he’s picked a Vice President, you will make the best paper in America very, very wrong -

LOUISE takes a piece of paper from AMY, who is coming out of JOSH’s office. LOUISE continues into that office as AMY walks out into the group area, talking on her own cell phone.

AMY (into phone)
Yes, Senator, the President-Elect will certainly take that into consideration.

AMY continues into MATT’s office, where MATT, HELEN, and the SANTOS children, PETER and MIRANDA, are meeting with Secret Service agents, including RON BUTTERFIELD.

BUTTERFIELD (introducing one of the agents)
This is Linda.

MIRANDA
I have an aunt named Linda.

LINDA
That’s great. Do you have any friends named Linda?

MIRANDA (thinking for a moment)
No.

LINDA
Well – you do now.

BUTTERFIELD (introducing the other agent)
And this is Kevin. Linda and Kevin are gonna be with you most of the time. Now, because a lot of people know who your dad is -

MIRANDA
Everyone knows who my dad is.

BUTTERFIELD
Yeah, I guess you’re right. And some of them might try to talk to him or get a message to him through you guys. You think that’s a good idea?

PETER
Ummm, no?

BUTTERFIELD
That’s right, Peter.

AMY (leaning down to MATT’s ear, whispering)
We need to talk VP.

BUTTERFIELD
If anyone tries to do that, you should tell Linda or Kevin about it right away.

MATT gets up to leave. HELEN watches him go, a bit perturbed.

MIRANDA
And they’ll give the message to my dad?

BUTTERFIELD
Well – it’s not quite that simple.

CUT TO: INT. – TRANSITION OFFICE – DAY

AMY and MATT have stepped out of his office.

AMY
Our lawyers now have a very solid legal theory that your Electoral College delegates are free to vote for whomever they want for Vice President.

MATT
Theory?

AMY
There’s no precedent for this. A theory’s the best we can do. Supported by four former Democratic and Republican Attorneys General.

MATT
And they’ll say so publicly?

AMY
They’ll take out a full page ad in the New York Times. By which, I mean, they’ll sign a full page ad, if we pay for it – as will a handful of former Solicitors General from both parties.

MATT
So I can pick whoever I want and the Electoral College will elect them next week, simple as that?

AMY
Republicans might try to challenge it in court.

MATT
But we’ll win.

AMY
It might take a while -

HELEN comes out of MATT’s office and interrupts.

HELEN (to MATT, curtly)
You done here?

MATT
We’re, we’re just -

HELEN
It’s scary in there.

MATT
Honey, the kids seem okay with it.

HELEN
How would you feel if you were five years old and, some people with guns were telling you that they were going to take over your life?

AMY (as MATT nods to HELEN)
Sorry, I guess this is my fault -

HELEN
This has nothing to do with you, what you are talking about out here can wait. What we’re talking about in there is keeping your children alive.

CUT TO: INT. – DOCTOR’S EXAMINATION ROOM – DAY

VINICK is buttoning his shirt after his physical.

DOCTOR (holding an X-ray)
Your hand healed faster than I expected.

VINICK
Maybe that’s ‘cause I went from a thousand handshakes a day to none.

DOCTOR (chuckling)
I’ll have your blood cholesterol levels in a few days. If they’re anything like last year you got nothing to worry about. You get much exercise on the campaign trail?

VINICK
None. A lot of stress, though, I hear that keeps you young.

DOCTOR
Ah. If I had your stress levels, you’d have been called on to deliver an eloquent eulogy for me ten years ago.

VINICK (seriously)
So?

DOCTOR
So, you’re fine.

VINICK
Fine?

DOCTOR
You’re in great shape.

VINICK
For a man my age?

DOCTOR
For a man half your age. You’re kind of a medical miracle actually, huh?

VINICK grins as he ties his tie.

CUT TO: INT. – TRANSITION OFFICE – DAY

Things are still busy, with plenty of staffers moving about and talking on phones. As we begin with a shot of a TV news report, we see LOUISE walking through the office and heading into what appears to be JOSH’s office.

TV ANCHOR (on TV)
President Bartlet and the First Lady are on their way to Brussels today for the President’s last G8 meeting, where the crisis in Kazakhstan -

LOUISE enters the office, where MATT is meeting with AMY and GOODWIN.

MATT
Do you have the list for Assistant Secretary of Defense?

GOODWIN
There are 15 Assistant Secretaries of Defense, you’ve gotta stay focused on the big stuff.

MATT
All right, let me take another look at, uh, the file for State, please.

GOODWIN (handing him a file)
Here ya go.

LOUISE
Kansas City Star wants me to confirm or deny Keenitz for Agriculture.

MATT
How did that leak?

GOODWIN
Once the FBI starts doing the background checks - neighbors figure it out.

LOUISE
If we could leak a couple of other Cabinet names, it might pull some of the press heat off the VP selection.

MATT
I’ve decided on a VP.

GOODWIN and AMY both look at MATT in surprise.

MATT
Do we have Nancy McNally’s, uh, financial disclosure statement?

GOODWIN and AMY exchange a look.

GOODWIN
Who is your choice for Vice President?

MATT
Oh … Baker.

AMY reacts in dismay.

LOUISE
You should probably announce that right away.

AMY
And publicly ask the Democratic Electors to vote for Baker for VP when the Electoral College meets.

GOODWIN
The only way we’ll get Baker.

AMY
If you wait and submit Baker for congressional confirmation, the Senate Republicans won’t let you have him.

GOODWIN
They’re not gonna confirm a strong VP, who could – win the Presidency eight years from now.

MATT
Handing this off to the Electoral College – just doesn’t feel right, the American people will not stand for 272 people they never heard of electing a VP.

LOUISE
The American people don’t care. They don’t vote VP, they vote the top of the ticket.

MATT
If he has to take over the Presidency, then, people should know how he got there. If he goes through a congressional confirmation, hearings of the House, the Senate, the works – then the country will know everything about him before he takes the oath of office.

AMY
If you’re gonna submit a name to Congress it can’t be Baker.

MATT reacts with frustration.

CUT TO: INT. – VINICK’S OFFICE – DAY

VINICK is meeting with his attorney, JIM.

JIM
You’ve got a lot of offers to sit on boards. All the pharmaceuticals wants you. All the airlines. As your lawyer, I have to advise you to avoid the bankrupt ones, unless you just love giving depositions all day -

VINICK (as ANNIE enters)
I don’t want to sit on any boards.

ANNIE (handing a stack of papers to VINICK)
Letters to the governors.

VINICK (taking the papers, then sitting)
Great.

JIM (as ANNIE exits)
You don’t have to do anything as a member of a board of directors – show up a few times a year, hundred thousand in salary and a lot more in stock options. You sit on maybe half a dozen boards, you’re making -

VINICK (forcefully)
Wouldn’t look good.

JIM
Who cares what it looks like? No offense, Arnie, but … nobody notices what former Senators do.

VINICK
What else you got?

JIM
Lot of, university offers, you can write your own ticket. Full-time faculty, guest lecturer, whatever you wanna teach -

VINICK
Where?

JIM
NYU, Princeton, Penn -

VINICK
University of Pennsylvania?

JIM
Yeah. UVA, Duke, Emory, Florida State, Ohio Wesleyan and William and Mary.

VINICK
All right, let’s do guest lecturer at Penn, Florida State – and Ohio Wesleyan.

JIM
All three?

VINICK
I can write my own ticket or not?

JIM
I’m sure they’ll go along with it, but why do you wanna spend that much -

VINICK
What offers do we have in California?

JIM
Mmmm, you don’t wanna be, uh, the official greeter at a vineyard, do you?

CUT TO: INT. – TRANSITION OFFICE – DAY

BUTTERFIELD and other Secret Service agents are briefing MATT and HELEN on security requirements at their home in Houston. A model of the home sits on a desk.

BUTTERFIELD
Twenty-one and a half. Obviously that violates Houston’s zoning laws, but we can get a waiver. This fence is essential to securing the perimeter of your property.

HELEN
Twenty-one feet high?

BUTTERFIELD
Well, that’s because the homes next door are so close to yours.

MATT (picking up a small piece of the model)
What’s – this?

BUTTERFIELD
That’s the guardhouse we’ll build on the sidewalk. (MATT raises his eyebrows at HELEN) Everyone, friends, delivery men, et cetera will have to pass through the guardhouse to get into your house.

HELEN (with the guardhouse model)
Does it, uh, have to be so … big?

BUTTERFIELD
It’s actually smaller than we usually build it. We’re trying to let it blend into the neighborhood.

HELEN (quickly)
Really, who else on the street has a guardhouse?

BUTTERFIELD
The plans might be able to be reined in a bit, depending upon how often members of the First Family are gonna use the house.

HELEN
Use it, we, we’re going to be living in it.

MATT
We decided to let the kids finish their, uh, school year in Houston and then bring them to the White House in June.

This is new information to BUTTERFIELD.

BUTTERFIELD
So the, First Lady and the children will be living there full-time until June?

MATT (nodding)
Pretty much.

BUTTERFIELD
Would you excuse me a minute? (exits)

MATT (as HELEN sighs, to another agent, ELLIS TAYLOR)
Is there a problem?

TAYLOR
He’s gotta let the Director know immediately. It’s gonna put a lot of strain on the PPD.

MATT
PPD?

TAYLOR
Presidential Protective Division. Permanent split in the First Family’s gonna stretch us kind of thin.

MATT
It’s not a permanent split -

TAYLOR
I understand, but we’re really not set up for the President and the First Lady to be apart for more than a couple of weeks. International trips, that sort of thing.

CUT TO: INT. – VINICK’S OUTER OFFICE – DAY

BOB enters, carrying a thick sheaf of papers. SHEILA and ANNIE are moving boxes.

BOB
Got the exit polls for him.

SHEILA
Great, now he can really obsess over why he lost.

JIM (coming out of VINICK’s office, to SHEILA)
You gotta talk to him about money.

SHEILA
You’re his oldest friend, if you can’t get through to him, I can’t.

JIM
He’s refusing to join any boards. He just wants to do guest lecturing at universities in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Florida. He’s gonna be bored to death, and he won’t be able to afford the Republican lifestyle he deserves.

CUT TO: INT. – TRANSITION OFFICE – DAY

BUTTERFIELD has returned from talking to the Director.

BUTTERFIELD
My apologies, sir. The Director would like for us to redo the security plan for your home, including sealing the street with guardhouses at each end.

HELEN is shocked.

HELEN
Sealing the street?

BUTTERFIELD
Only residents allowed to drive on the street, all visitors to any house on the street will have to pass through the guardhouses.

MATT and HELEN look at each other in dismay.

BUTTERFIELD (cont.)
We’ll check Social Security and birthdays, same level of security as the White House.

HELEN
So our neighbors are gonna become prisoners in their own homes.

BUTTERFIELD
Well, they’ll be living on the safest -

HELEN (talking over him)
Safest street in Houston, yes.

MATT
Excuse me.

MATT pulls HELEN into a side office.

MATT
Wow. (takes a breath) You okay?

HELEN
No.

MATT
You know, they’re just trying to do their job -

HELEN
This is not gonna work. We should all move to the White House with you in January.

MATT (beat)
We better start looking for schools for the kids, huh?

HELEN (beat)
Yeah.

MATT heads back out, leaving HELEN in the office.

CUT TO: INT. – VINICK’S OFFICE – DAY

VINICK is studying the letters to the governors. SHEILA and BOB enter.

VINICK
Hey, Bob – you got the exit polls?

BOB
Right here. Pretty simple. We lost Nevada by 70,000 votes because of the nuclear accident.

VINICK (looking at the polls)
Which page is Nevada?

BOB
Right here.

SHEILA
You’re not set for life, you know.

VINICK (giving SHEILA a look)
Jim tell you I don’t wanna waste my time with corporate boards?

SHEILA
I think he mentioned something about that, yeah.

VINICK
The Senate pension will be plenty. I’ll pick up some pocket change on the lecture circuit. (to BOB) Where’s the demographic breakdown?

SHEILA
You should take a job with a DC law firm.

VINICK
I won’t do lobbying, it wouldn’t look good.

SHEILA
You don’t have to do any lobbying.

BOB
Wouldn’t look good?

BOB and SHEILA exchange looks, and a realization comes to SHEILA.

SHEILA
Lecturing in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Florida? You thinking about running again?

VINICK (standing, carrying the polls with him)
Flip 40,000 votes in Nevada and I win.

SHEILA
Senator, you can’t be seriously thinking about -

VINICK (pulling a binder out of a moving box)
Doctor says I’m in great shape. (sitting at his desk) Tell me who the frontrunner for the Republican nomination is gonna be. Huh? One of the seven dwarfs that I just beat? Come on, those guys have ‘loser’ written all over them.

BOB
Ray Sullivan’s a frontrunner already. Everybody said he did a great job with the VP campaign.

VINICK
I created Ray Sullivan. Where would he be if I didn’t put him on the ticket? He won’t run if I run.

SHEILA
You wanna bet on that?

VINICK
Everyone in the Republican Party knows I had this thing locked until the nuclear accident. That would’ve killed any Republican candidate. The party can’t blame me for that. We would’ve had an Electoral College landslide if we – hey, look, look, look at these exit polls. Nuclear power was the number one issue all over the West. That’s not gonna happen next time, everything’ll be back to normal. Nuclear won’t even show up in the next presidential exit polls.

SHEILA and BOB look at VINICK doubtfully.

VINICK
Look – I know what you’re thinking. (pause, as VINICK looks from one to the other) Go on, say it. (beat) You think I’m too old. Don’t worry about that, I feel great. I’m telling you, 70 is the new 60.

VINICK dives back into looking at the exit polls as BOB and SHEILA look uncomfortable.

FADE TO BLACK.
END ACT ONE.
* * *

ACT TWO

FADE IN: INT. – SIDE TRANSITION OFFICE – DAY

MATT is studying some paperwork at the desk. GOODWIN is going over some possible administration positions, as another staffer sits in the background.

GOODWIN
The confirmation will be a breeze for Connor or Rosenthal for Treasury. Connor would be a more popular choice within the party, and obviously, Rosenthal’s more respected on Wall Street.

MATT
No, I think Rosenthal would be more effective selling my tax plan.

GOODWIN
Huh, he has no administrative skills. Treasury is a huge department. Jurisdiction over the IRS, Bureau of Engraving, the Mint …

MATT
Let’s go with Rosenthal and get him a deputy secretary who’s got a lot of executive experience.

GOODWIN
Well, good. (clears throat as he hands off a binder to the staffer, who leaves) So, we’ve got, uh, Treasury, Defense, and, uh, Attorney General. You know, if you made a choice on State, we could announce the big four same time we announce the VP and show some real progress with the transition.

MATT (still looking at his binder)
Nancy McNally’s great, but I think she’d be a better UN ambassador.

GOODWIN
Well, how about, uh, Noah for State? (beat) Schmidt?

MATT
No. I, I want a fresh take on Kazakhstan, someone who was never part of the team that got us in there.

GOODWIN
Uhh, that leaves, Reynolds.

MATT
I had a good meeting with Reynolds. But, uh, I didn’t get anything from him that I didn’t already know.

GOODWIN
No one has more experience than Reynolds.

MATT
I like him, but …

GOODWIN (handing over a binder)
Wanna take another look at his file?

MATT
No, I – let’s, let’s move on. (beat) We’ll come back to State.

GOODWIN (pulling out some more files)
Okay, well, we’ve got a couple of, uh, great candidates for Commerce.

CUT TO: INT. – CJ’S OFFICE – DAY

CJ is on the phone as a military officer leaves.

CJ (into phone)
Yes, sir. (beat) General Corley will give you the latest update on Kazakhstan as soon as you get off the plane. (beat) I’ll get them on the line now.

CJ pushes a button to transfer the call, then goes to the door and opens it. AMY is standing there by MARGARET’s desk.

CJ
Margaret, I need Stanley at State and Henry at Trade for a conference call with the President on Air Force One.

MARGARET
When?

CJ
Right now. (to AMY) What’s up, Amy?

AMY (handing CJ a paper)
Here’s where we are so far, we’ve got someone ready to go for every one of those job titles. (as they move into CJ’s office) People in those jobs should be ready to move out by Inauguration Day.

CJ
I’ll let them know.

AMY
Things aren’t moving so fast with State. President-Elect doesn’t want any empty desks at State with the Kazakhstan crisis still hot so he’d like all the undersecretaries and assistant secretaries to plan to stay in place for a while.

CJ
He’s having trouble picking a Secretary?

AMY
He, he’s still staring at the shortlist.

CJ
Nancy McNally?

AMY
I have no idea, I’m just the messenger.

CJ drops the paper and looks sternly at AMY.

AMY
She’s on the shortlist.

CJ
Good.

There’s a knock at the door, and MARGARET comes in, a huge smile stuck on her face, which fades as the door closes.

MARGARET
Helen Santos is here. And Stanley is having his teeth whitened right now, so they’re trying to find someone at Trade who can do the conference call.

CJ
Okay. (to AMY) My once proud team.

AMY (heading for the other door)
I’ll just duck out this way.

CJ
Problems with the First Lady-Elect?

AMY
I’m just not her favorite person today.

CJ (chuckling)
Come on …

AMY (heading out the door)
It’s nothing, really. (whispering) I’ll just slip out of your way.

CJ opens the other door and goes out to greet HELEN.

CJ
Hello, Mrs. Santos, I’m CJ Cregg.

HELEN (smiling, shaking hands)
I know, we get CNN in Texas. Do me a favor.

CJ
Sure, anything.

HELEN
Please call me Helen.

CJ
Okay. (as HELEN enters the office, to MARGARET) How we doing?

MARGARET (whispering)
Got everyone ready, but now the President’s on another call.

CJ gestures ‘keep going’ to MARGARET as she joins HELEN in her office.

CJ
The First Lady would’ve loved to have shown you around, but she’s on her way to Brussels with the President. They’ve asked me to make you feel at home.

HELEN (as they sit)
Oh … in this place? (chuckling)

CJ
Well, you’ll see the residence does have some homey touches.

HELEN
Ah! Like?

CJ
Uhhh, you could get bunk beds for the kids.

HELEN
Uh, I gotta find a school for them first before I think about bedrooms.

CJ
Jim Kane can help you with that.

HELEN (her face frozen)
The Secretary of Education.

CJ
Yeah.

CUT TO: INT. – TRANSITION OFFICE – DAY

AMY is walking through the busy office, again on her cell phone.

AMY (into phone)
Mr. Chairman, I’ll definitely let you know about the Vice President before the press knows. Yeah. (hanging up as RONNA joins her)

RONNA
Drudge Report says it’s Baker.

AMY
How does Drudge do it?

RONNA
Is it Baker?

AMY continues into the side office, leaving RONNA at the door. MATT is talking with GOODWIN again.

MATT
I am not going to reconsider, I want Eric Baker for Vice President. Now, with the Democrats in the House, Baker’ll have no problem there. (to AMY) How many Republican votes would we need in the Senate?

AMY
Five. At least.

GOODWIN
Maybe more if anyone decides to filibuster.

AMY
They won’t try that on a VP confirmation.

GOODWIN
Yeah, but they could.

AMY
Not if you talk to the Majority Leader, give him the feeling he’s being consulted, let him suggest some names.

MATT
No, that’ll give him the chance to try to jam me into taking someone I don’t want.

GOODWIN (sighs)
Well, if we can’t count on enough Republican votes in the Senate, then I strongly recommend that you ask the Electoral College, to vote on Baker next week.

MATT
Don’t wanna do that.

GOODWIN
You might have to.

AMY
Baker’s name’s already starting to leak, so if you’re not gonna pretend to consult the Senate Republicans we need to make the announcement soon.

MATT (thinking)
Gotta put pressure on Republicans to confirm Baker.

GOODWIN
How?

MATT (standing)
I wanna see Arnold Vinick.

AMY
You really think he’s in the mood to help you with this?

MATT stands, shifting back and forth, his mind working. Then, as he leaves:

MATT
I wanna see Arnold Vinick.

CUT TO: INT. – VINICK’S OFFICE – DAY

BOB is still going over exit polls as VINICK brings more boxes to his desk and takes things out. SHEILA is also there.

BOB
Right wing is saying, we lost because you weren’t conservative enough, not because of the, the nuclear thing -

VINICK
Exactly, that’s why I have to run again, to prove that isn’t true. I wasn’t just running for the Presidency, I was fighting for the soul of my party.

SHEILA
And you won that fight. Ray Sullivan – the most popular guy in the party, is a Vinick Republican now, you created him as a national candidate, he is your legacy.

BOB
Pro-life voters like him, moderates love him. You give him your blessing, you can guarantee him the nomination.

SHEILA (as ANNIE enters from the outer office)
You can be the kingmaker.

VINICK listens, sits, places a now-empty box on the floor.

VINICK
But not the king?

ANNIE
I just got a call from Barry Goodwin.

VINICK
Yeah?

ANNIE
Matt Santos wants to see you.

VINICK
About what?

ANNIE
Sounds like he just wants to do a post-election handshake, a – nice bipartisan photo op.

BOB
Smart move by Santos.

VINICK (exasperated)
I’m not gonna be a prop in some phony unity picture.

BOB
You don’t go, they’ll leak that you were invited and turned ‘em down.

SHEILA
Santos’ll look bipartisan -

VINICK (resigned)
And I look like a sore loser.

CUT TO: INT. – WHITE HOUSE HALLWAY – DAY

CJ and HELEN are walking in a grand red-carpeted hall.

CJ
The personal staff is waiting for you in the East Room. Most of them have been here a long time, they really know their stuff.

HELEN
All I need is a nanny type and someone to help clean up the kids’ bedrooms.

CJ
I think they can manage that.

CJ leads HELEN into the East Room, where HELEN is stunned by the 50 or so personal staff members there, including at least five chefs. CJ introduces her to the Chief Usher.

CJ
This is Curtis Schaefer.

HELEN (shaking hands)
Nice to meet you.

SCHAEFER
My pleasure, Mrs. Santos.

CJ
Mr. Schaefer is the Chief Usher.

HELEN
Chief Usher?

CJ
Means he’s the man in charge.

HELEN
Ah …

SCHAEFER (to CJ)
If it’s all right with you? (to HELEN) I thought we’d begin with a quick introduction to everyone, then split off into individual meetings with the executive chef. The pastry chef, I imagine your children might have some favorite desserts he’ll wanna know about -

HELEN, smiling, catches her breath nervously.

SCHAEFER (cont.)
- then the head florist would like a few minutes, just to get a general impression of your preferences and the President-Elect’s preferences -

HELEN
Umm – the President-Elect doesn’t have a flower preference.

SCHAEFER
So for the Oval Office?

HELEN
Oh, he’ll never notice the flowers, whatever you like is fine.

SCHAEFER
I understand. You don’t need to meet with the butlers and maids individually, but it would be very helpful if you could spend a few minutes with the President-Elect’s valet today. Because he needs to finalize his -

HELEN
Uh, I’m sorry, could you - excuse us for one minute, please? Thanks.

HELEN pulls CJ aside from the group.

HELEN (quietly)
Okay, this is too much, we don’t need all these people.

CJ (quietly)
Okay. Which ones do you wanna fire?

HELEN is left speechless.

CUT TO: INT. – TRANSITION OFFICE – DAY

VINICK enters the office, with voices murmuring and phones ringing. An ASSISTANT is dealing with the main office telephone.

ASSISTANT (into phone)
President-Elect’s office, please hold. (punching a button) President-Elect’s office, please hold. (punching another button) The President-Elect’s office, please hold. (to VINICK) Senator Vinick, Mr. Goodwin will be right with you, he’s just finishing up a call if you’d like to take a seat. (phone rings again) President-Elect’s office, please hold. (again) President-Elect’s office, please hold.

VINICK slowly makes his way to a chair along the wall, as he and Santos staffers look over each other warily. He sees GOODWIN sitting in the office, phone to his ear; GOODWIN motions for a staffer to close the door. VINICK, reluctant to sit, takes out his cell phone and dials.

VINICK (into phone)
This was a terrible idea.

We cut to SHEILA back at VINICK’s office.

SHEILA (into phone)
You had no choice.

VINICK (VO, on phone)
I’m standing here waiting, like a -

SHEILA (into phone)
Sit!

Back to VINICK.

VINICK (into phone)
Just keep talking to me as though I’m too busy to sit.

SHEILA (VO, on phone)
Okay.

VINICK (into phone)
What do I have tomorrow?

Back to SHEILA.

SHEILA (checking the calendar)
Uhhh, you have a haircut at 10:00.

Back to VINICK.

VINICK (into phone)
Okay, then what?

Back to SHEILA.

SHEILA (into phone)
That looks like it.

VINICK (VO, on phone)
For the rest of the day?

SHEILA (into phone)
For the rest of the year.

Back to VINICK, as he sees GOODWIN coming out of the office to greet him.

VINICK (into phone, businesslike)
Okay, well, let’s confirm all that, and make sure I have the updated schedules today. (hangs up)

GOODWIN (shaking hands)
Arnie. Good to see you.

VINICK
Congratulations, Barry.

GOODWIN
Listen, you ran one hell of a campaign. We just got lucky. Let me take your coat. (as they head for MATT’s office) I’m, uh, sorry for the wait, but, uh, President-Elect had to, uh, step out with the wife, check out some schools for the kids. (entering MATT’s office) He asked me to have you wait in here. It won’t be long. Can I get you anything?

VINICK
No, thanks.

RONNA (at the door, to GOODWIN)
Senator Robinson’s on line three.

GOODWIN
Excuse me. I’ve gotta take this.

GOODWIN and RONNA exit, leaving VINICK in the office. He takes in the room, looking at the desk that could have been his. After a moment, he slowly makes his way to the sofa and sits, impatiently.

FADE TO BLACK.
END ACT TWO.
* * *

ACT THREE

FADE IN: INT. – SANTOS LIMOUSINE – DAY

A motorcade is being escorted by motorcycle policemen and patrol cars through the streets of DC. HELEN and MATT are in a limo.

HELEN
Do you think St. Albans was a little - you know, stuffy?

MATT (chuckling)
A little?

HELEN
Bancroft was more down to earth.

MATT (scoffs)
Yep.

HELEN
What?

MATT (shrugging)
The idea of spending $25,000 for fifth grade?

HELEN (laughing)
Ridiculous.

MATT
What would public school be like if we spent $25,000 per pupil?

HELEN
In one year, we will spend more for two kids than my entire education cost.

MATT (showing HELEN his Naval Academy ring)
Hey, I actually got a paycheck at Annapolis.

HELEN (laughs, then to the driver)
Where is the next school?

MATT (surprised)
What next school? I thought we were only doing two schools today.

HELEN
I told your scheduler that we had three schools to check out -

MATT
Honey – I, I can’t do another school today, I, I have to get back to the office. I’ve got Arnold Vinick waiting for me.

HELEN just stares wordlessly at MATT. Finally he reaches out and picks up the limousine’s telephone.

CUT TO: INT. – MATT’S OFFICE – DAY

The phone on MATT’s desk beeps. VINICK, still sitting there alone, stares at the phone. After a moment RONNA opens the door.

RONNA
The President-Elect is on the line for you.

VINICK stands, walks over to the desk and picks up the phone.

VINICK (into phone)
Hello?

MATT (VO, on phone)
Hey, Arnie – uh, thanks for coming in to see me. Listen, I’m, uh -

CUT TO the limousine.

MATT (cont., into phone)
- really sorry about the scheduling mixup. Uh, we’re looking at schools for kids and – it’s taking longer than we thought.

Back to MATT’s office.

VINICK (into phone)
Nah, I understand.

Back to the car.

MATT (into phone)
Can we push our meeting back for about an hour?

Back to the office.

VINICK (into phone)
Well, m-, my schedule’s pretty busy these days, um -

MATT (VO, on phone)
Well, let’s see what our staffs can work out.

VINICK (takes a beat, then into phone)
Yeah, sure.

MATT (VO, on phone)
Really appreciate any time that you can give me today, and, uh -

Back to the car.

MATT (cont., into phone)
- again, I’m sorry about having to reschedule.

Cut to MATT’s office.

VINICK (into phone)
No problem.

VINICK hangs up. He takes another moment to look around the office.

CUT TO: EXT. – DC SIDEWALK – DAY

VINICK is walking to a coffee shop on a chilly December day. Several other people are on the sidewalk, bundled up against the cold. We see VINICK at the end of a line of people ordering, as he looks over their shoulders.

BARISTA (handing a coffee to the man ahead of VINICK in line)
Grande nonfat chai for Jim.

VINICK (stepping up, holding some money in his hand)
Coffee of the day.

BARISTA
Tall, grande, or venti?

VINICK
Huh?

BARISTA
What size?

VINICK (a bit lost)
Uh, whatever’s biggest.

BARISTA
Name?

VINICK
Sen - … Arnie.

BARISTA
Venti coffee of the day for Ernie.

CUT TO: EXT. – SCHOOL – DAY

HELEN and MATT are walking away from their third private school visit, with Secret Service agents all around.

HELEN
I wouldn’t send our kids to that school if they paid us.

MATT
I didn’t see a single kid smiling in there.

HELEN
So it’s Bancroft, I guess.

MATT (sighs)
Maybe we should look at some public schools, too.

HELEN
DC public schools are the worst, aren’t they, didn’t Vinick say something about – DC having the lowest test scores in the country?

MATT (as HELEN’s phone rings)
There’s gotta be some good public schools in the District.

HELEN (answering phone)
Hello? (beat) Yes, we are on our way right now. (hanging up) I am late for the White House decorator.

MATT (laughs, then)
There’s gotta be at least one good public school.

HELEN
Do you know any Congressmen who send their kids to DC public schools? (MATT shakes his head slightly) What’s this about, honey, you afraid they’re gonna get spoiled going to a rich kids’ school?

MATT (beat)
A little, yeah.

HELEN
You think having one maid pick up their socks and another pick up their underwear is not going to spoil them? (they both laugh) Going to a fancy private school is gonna be the most normal thing about them.

MATT (leaning against the limo, looking around)
Yeah, but …

HELEN (pause)
If you wanna look at a public school – we’ll look at a public school, okay?

MATT nods. They both move to get into the limo.

CUT TO: INT. – CJ’S OFFICE – DAY

CJ is going over some things with MARGARET at her desk.

CJ
I need the schedule for tomorrow’s G8 meeting and a draft of the joint statement on Kazakhstan.

MARGARET
Trade rep wants you to okay this memo on agriculture subsidies going to the President.

HELEN walks past the door to CJ’s office, then returns and enters.

HELEN
Hi.
CJ (looking up, puzzled)
Hi.

HELEN (beat)
I, I have a 3:00.

CJ and MARGARET look at each other quizzically.

HELEN
With the decorator?

MARGARET
Oh, right – (pointing at another door) That’s in there.

HELEN
Oh, thanks.

MARGARET (to CJ, as HELEN walks briskly to the door)
And this is the language State approved for tomorrow’s briefing.

HELEN opens the door, walks through quickly, and stops dead in her tracks when she realizes she’s in the Oval Office. The only sound is the grandfather clock ticking as HELEN walks up to the Resolute desk, taking in the importance of the room. We then hear a voice – it’s GAIL ADDISON, the White House decorator.

ADDISON
Mrs. Santos – (stepping up and catching her eye) Mrs. Santos. I’m Gail Addison.

HELEN (shaking hands)
It’s nice to meet you.

ADDISON
Um, as you know, we have very little in the budget for redecorating.

HELEN
Oh! Well, how much is very little?

ADDISON
$200,000. (HELEN’s eyes widen) You might want to establish a fundraising committee to, raise a few million and, and do it right. Th-, there really is a lot to do, especially in this room. I’ve never liked the color of this rug, but, uh, the Bartlets ... well, it’s all up to you, now.

HELEN
Uh, well, it looks good to me.

ADDISON
Oh, but there are many ways that you can put your personal touch on the White House.

HELEN
Well, I will leave that up to my kids. (laughing) I’ll tell you right now, there’re going to be a lot of crayon marks that we’re gonna have to remove when we leave.

ADDISON
Speaking of the kids, (showing HELEN some drawings) here’s what I’ve sketched for Peter’s room. A cowboy theme. And here’s what I came up with for Miranda’s room. A place a princess would love.

CUT TO: INT. – MATT’S OFFICE – NIGHT

MATT is on the phone as a staffer ushers VINICK into the room.

MATT (into phone)
That’ll work. (beat) Yeah. (beat) Okay. (hanging up) Arnie, thanks so much for coming in. (shaking hands) Really sorry about that scheduling screwup this afternoon.

VINICK
It’s okay.

MATT
They’ve got me booked every minute of the day, now it’s worse than the campaign, no time to think at all.

VINICK regards MATT silently.

MATT
In any event, I appreciate you rescheduling so fast.

VINICK (looking around)
Uh, wh-, where are the cameras?

MATT
This isn’t a photo op.

VINICK looks at MATT blankly.

MATT
Would you like some coffee?

VINICK
No, thanks.

MATT (gesturing to sit)
Please.

VINICK sits on the sofa as MATT gets himself some coffee.

MATT
I need your advice.

VINICK
My advice?

MATT
Yeah.

VINICK
On what?

MATT
The Vice Presidency.

VINICK
What about it?

MATT
I have a legal memo that says that I can ask the Electoral College to vote for whoever I want -

VINICK
You can’t let 272 people no one has ever heard of elect the Vice President of the United States of America. If you’re gonna have an unelected VP, then you’ve got to at least let the democratically elected representatives of the people vote for him. Have to submit the name for congressional confirmation. You gotta go through an open process … a public process that people understand and accept.

MATT (sitting, with his coffee)
I agree.

VINICK
You do?

MATT
Yeah. Do you think the, uh, Senate Republicans will get rough?

VINICK
Well, it depends on who you pick.

MATT (nods, then leans forward in his seat)
Is the Vice Presidency something that you would consider?

VINICK (taken aback, eyebrows narrowed)
Are you, are you offering it?

MATT
Would you consider it?

VINICK
If you offered it?

MATT
If I offered it.

VINICK
To a Republican?

MATT
To you.

VINICK (blinking)
Would I consider it? (MATT nods) And if I considered it, you’d put me on your shortlist?

MATT
Yes.

VINICK
You still gonna try to raise taxes?

MATT
Only on incomes over a million.

VINICK
So, you’d actually offer the Vice Presidency to someone who, if anything happened to you – would be trying to cut those taxes, while your body was still warm?

MATT (a bit surprised, making a face)
I might.

VINICK (taking a breath)
If I considered it?

MATT nods slightly. VINICK looks at him, then a grin slowly spreads across his face

VINICK
Nice try. (as MATT looks puzzled) I know your game. You get me to say I’d consider it, then you have your people leak it to the press. That gives you a couple of days of stories about – how bipartisan Matt Santos is. I mean, he’s even got a Republican – on his shortlist for Vice President. You figure that’ll soften the Senate Republicans and they’ll start talking about a speedy confirmation for Vinick, then you announce who you really want – which I assume is Baker. And then you put public pressure on the Senate to give the same speedy confirmation to Baker that they were gonna give to Vinick. Hmm? Huh?

MATT has watched this speech with eyes raised and a bit of surprise at VINICK’s reaction.

MATT
What do you think of Baker?

VINICK
I think he wins you Pennsylvania. I think he has a lock on the Presidential nomination eight years from now. Senate Republicans will have a little problem with that.

MATT (smiling)
What are you gonna do next?

VINICK (a pause, as he considers what to say)
I’ll do what I’m … what I’m good at.

MATT (surprised)
You’re going to run again?

VINICK
I hope you get your tax increase. It’ll give me something to run against. (he stands)

MATT
You got a minute to talk about Kazakhstan?

VINICK
I’m not getting a daily intelligence report anymore, all I know is what I read in the papers.

MATT
A lot of what you read in the papers is better than our intelligence. (as VINICK sits again) I was impressed with what you had to say about Kazakhstan during the campaign. I always th–, wished that I’d said it first.

VINICK
The good cop/bad cop routine that you and Bartlet have worked out – that seems to be the only thing you can do now.

MATT
What do you mean?

VINICK
Oh, come on, you two must have coordinated your messages. You’re not reckless enough to undermine the President on foreign policy in the middle of a crisis. (MATT is impressed) You’re trying to make the Russians and the Chinese believe that it’s gonna be tougher to deal with you than with Bartlet. Put pressure on them, to negotiate a settlement with Bartlet now – they, well, that can work.

MATT (smiles and leans forward)
I’m gonna need another cop when Bartlet leaves office.

There is a pause. VINICK is leaning forward, watching MATT. MATT is leaning forward, looking down until he speaks.

MATT
How about Secretary of State?

VINICK
Well – you gonna go with Reynolds?

MATT
Maybe. If I don’t get my first choice.

VINICK
Who’s that?

MATT
That would be you.

We can see VINICK is caught completely by surprise.

VINICK
Se - … Secretary of State?

MATT
You’ve got better relationships with all of the important heads of state than I do. You know the diplomatic corps, you’re respected in every capital around the world – you agree with me on foreign policy … and you are the best strategic thinker I know. I’m not asking you if you’d consider it, Arnie. I’m asking you to do it.

CUT TO BLACK.
END ACT THREE.
* * *

ACT FOUR

FADE IN: INT. – MATT’S OFFICE – NIGHT

MATT is now discussing the VINICK offer with LOUISE, AMY, and GOODWIN.

AMY
What happened to the game of getting him to consider VP?

MATT
Oh, he read that play instantly, the guy is brilliant.

LOUISE
He’s a Republican!

MATT
He’s who we need.

AMY
You’re saying there’s not a single Democrat who could handle State as well as Vinick?

MATT (as they walk into the outer offices)
Well, that’s not exactly what I would go out there and say publicly, but, yeah.

GOODWIN
Well, he’s not going to accept it – but he’s gonna make sure the press finds out whoever we end up with was a second choice.

MATT
He’s not gonna leak it.

LOUISE
Sure he is.

MATT
Well, he never leaked that Bartlet offered him that UN job.

GOODWIN
Was he serious, about running again?

MATT
Yeah.

LOUISE
Well, then, he’s definitely gonna leak this.

MATT
Maybe, but this is the risk I’ve decided to take.

CUT TO: INT. – VINICK’S OFFICE – NIGHT

VINICK is going over the offer with BOB and SHEILA.

BOB
Secretary of State?

VINICK
Gave me the hard sell. ‘The country needs you,’ the whole bit.

SHEILA
What did you say?

VINICK
I turned him down on the spot. (SHEILA and BOB react in dismay) And then he asked me to sleep on it, and give him my final answer tomorrow.

BOB
You gotta do this. It’s perfect for you.

SHEILA
You ran a campaign to try to unify the country. Now it looks like Santos is trying to put together an administration that will unify the country. The President says he needs you. The country needs you.

VINICK
I disagree with him about everything.

BOB
Not everything.

SHEILA
You don’t disagree on foreign policy. You think about it differently, you use different rhetoric, but – you agree on the objectives.

VINICK
He just wants to take me out of the campaign. He’s afraid to run against me again.

SHEILA and BOB are not convinced by this point.

VINICK
Okay – he’s just using me. He appoints a Republican so the Republicans will let him have Baker as Vice President. He doesn’t really want me.

BOB
You think they’d horse-trade with a job like State?

VINICK (unsure)
I don’t know. (pause) You really don’t think I can win, do you?

SHEILA
Maybe if you were ten years younger.

VINICK
Baby Boomers are turning 60, there’s gonna be a huge over-60 vote in the next election.

SHEILA
You’re not a Boomer.

VINICK
Should’ve started lying about my age a long time ago.

SHEILA
It’s not just your age.

VINICK
Stevenson got the nomination twice in a row.

SHEILA
Fifty years ago, and he lost both times.

VINICK, frustrated, stands and sighs, then turns back to the others.

VINICK
You know, the only thing … that tempts me to do this – is Santos’ second choice. Reynolds. You wanna see how fast the Secretary of State can screw up the world, just give the job to Reynolds.

SHEILA (stands and walks up to VINICK)
You can enter the history books as maybe the last honorable Senator and a great Secretary of State. Or … you could be the guy who just didn’t know when to quit.

CUT TO: INT. – PUBLIC SCHOOL – DAY

MATT and HELEN, accompanied by Secret Service including BUTTERFIELD, are talking to the school PRINCIPAL as they finish their tour.

HELEN
The students seem pretty happy here.

PRINCIPAL
We’ve got a great group of kids. And the parents are very supportive.

MATT
What’s the makeup of the student body?

PRINCIPAL
Forty-one percent African-American, 30 percent white, 19 percent Hispanic, and 9 percent Asian.

MATT
How many free lunch kids?

PRINCIPAL
Eight percent.

MATT
That sounds low for the District.

PRINCIPAL
It’s the lowest.

HELEN (as they exit the school and walk outside)
I must say, I was a bit surprised that there are no metal detectors in the school.

PRINCIPAL
DC doesn’t have any metal detectors in the elementary schools.

HELEN
Oh -

PRINCIPAL
That’s okay, we know what our public image is. (she and HELEN chuckle) That’s why it really is such an honor for us that you would even consider sending your children here. And needless to say, it would be an incredible show of support for the system if you would, I – sorry. I shouldn’t -

MATT (shaking hands)
Cathy, you’re running a really great school here. You’ll be hearing from us very soon.

PRINCIPAL
Thank you.

HELEN
Thank you very much.

MATT
Thank you.

The PRINCIPAL heads inside. MATT puts his arm around HELEN as they walk towards the cars, looking around at the school building and the neighborhood.

MATT
What do you think?

HELEN
It’s perfect.

CUT TO: INT. – TRANSITION OFFICE – DAY

Once again we hear the ASSISTANT answering the ever-ringing telephone, as VINICK enters once again.

ASSISTANT (into phone)
The President-Elect’s office, please hold. (punches button) The President-Elect’s office, please hold.

RONNA comes up to greet VINICK.

RONNA (taking his coat)
Senator Vinick, the President-Elect is waiting for you. I’ll let him know that you’re here.

CUT TO: INT. – MATT’S OFFICE – DAY

MATT is strategizing with AMY and GOODWIN.

MATT
I want you to let it leak that I’m considering asking the Electoral College to vote for Baker.

AMY
The Republicans will start screaming, demanding confirmation hearings.

MATT
Well, then I say I’m concerned that congressional confirmation will take too long. That this is too dangerous a time to be without a VP, even for a single day.

AMY
Force the Senate Republicans to swear to run a quick confirmation.

MATT
Then call ‘em on it.

A knock at the door, and RONNA enters, giving a note to GOODWIN.

MATT
Get that new Democratic House to, uh, run a quick confirmation and a vote. Put pressure on the Senate to act fast, don’t give them any time to come up with phony reasons to vote against Baker.

GOODWIN
Vinick’s here.

CUT TO: INT. – TRANSITION OFFICE – DAY

GOODWIN comes out to get VINICK.

GOODWIN
Hey – Arnie. (shaking hands) You can go right in.

VINICK
What’s he trying to pull, Barry?

GOODWIN
It sure as hell wasn’t my idea. And you’d be doing me a big favor with the party, if you turn it down.

CUT TO: INT. – MATT’S OFFICE – DAY

GOODWIN brings VINICK in, then leaves. MATT and VINICK are alone.

MATT (at his desk)
Arnie, I really appreciate you coming.

VINICK
Your strategy’s not gonna work.

MATT
Which strategy?

VINICK
You knew I’d turn this down, so you get to leak that you offered me State, so you get to look like Mr. Bipartisan.

MATT
I haven’t leaked it.

VINICK
Yet. You think offering me State’ll help you get Baker past the Senate. Everyone’ll know that it’s a phony offer.

MATT
This isn’t about Baker, I want you as Secretary of State, you’re my first choice.

VINICK
I wouldn’t lift a finger to help Baker with Republicans.

MATT
I will get Baker confirmed, I don’t need you for that.

VINICK
Secretary of State is not something you throw at the other party to show how bipartisan you are. The job is way more important than that. This is your representative to the world.

MATT
I agree.

VINICK
You think you can make me Secretary of State, and then ignore me and run all foreign policy out of the White House?

MATT
No -

VINICK
Because anybody good enough to appoint would quit the day you start to try to go around the State Department -

MATT
I don’t want to go around you, I want you to do the job.

VINICK
And when we disagree?

MATT
I will give you all the time you need to set me straight. And then I’d expect you to go out there and sell whatever decision I make.

We can see the gears turning in VINICK’s head. He paces around.

VINICK
I’d have to have my own deputy secretary.

MATT
Pick any Democrat you want.

VINICK
And the undersecretaries?

MATT
I will consult with you on all of them.

VINICK
I wouldn’t do one thing that smelled - of campaigning for you. I would never set foot in one of your fundraisers, oh, you couldn’t drag me to a Democratic Party event.

MATT
Obviously.

VINICK
If the Undersecretary for Political Affairs does one partisan thing, I’m outta there.

MATT
I understand.

VINICK is starting to realize MATT is serious. He turns away and walks toward the fireplace.

VINICK
I don’t know … (muttering under his breath; then turning back) This is crazy. I don’t see how this can work.

MATT turns and picks up his intelligence briefing off the desk. He walks up to the fireplace to join VINICK.

MATT
Here’s today’s, uh, intelligence report on Kazakhstan. (handing the report to VINICK) It’s a … interesting item in there. Page two.

VINICK pulls out his reading glasses and takes a look.

MATT
Second paragraph.

VINICK (reading)
What, the Chinese demanding a veto on the routing of the pipeline?

MATT
Yeah, they’ve never said that before.

VINICK
Don’t worry about that, the Chinese know they haven’t got a chance of getting that, but they think the Russians do. So they demand it now, before the Russians do so we won’t help either one get it.

MATT
So how do we move them out of their all-or-nothing positions and get them to agree to a compromise?

VINICK
You can lay the groundwork for that now. You let both sides know that, in the endgame, the Russians are gonna have to get a share of Kazakhstan oil production and the Chinese are going to have to have the pipeline. You just make sure they understand that you’re the one setting the agenda.

The camera pulls back, showing MATT and VINICK by the fireplace, working their way through the crisis together, as the audio slowly fades.

VINICK
You don’t have to make it explicit. Just … hint at it. Put yourself in position of providing their vital interest -

DISSOLVE TO: END TITLES.
FADE TO BLACK.
THE END.
* * *

The West Wing and all its characters are properties of Aaron Sorkin, John Wells Productions, Warner Brothers Television, and NBC. No copyright infringement is intended.

The West Wing Transcript
Episode 7x20 – The Last Hurrah
Original Airdate: April 30, 2006

 

No comments:

Post a Comment