THE WEST WING
7x19 - “TRANSITION”
WRITTEN BY PETER NOAH
DIRECTED BY NELSON McCORMICK
Transcribed by Walking, Talking, And Yelling At Clouds (kegofglory.blogspot.com)
Link To My Blog Post For This Episode
TEASER
TRANSITION
FADE IN: INT. – AIRPLANE CABIN – NIGHT
We begin with a voiceover of a pilot’s announcement to the passengers. The camera FADES IN panning across passengers in their seats, eventually stopping at JOSH. He is working with a huge stack of binders, folders, and papers on his lap table. The man sitting next to him occasionally looks over as JOSH struggles with the mess.
PILOT (VO)
Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We’ve reached our flying altitude of 35,000 feet and we’re expecting a smooth flight, so – I’ve turned off the seat belt sign. Go ahead and please -
JOSH suppresses a sneeze.
PILOT (VO)
Flight attendants will be around to hand out headsets -
JOSH bumps into the passenger next to him as he maneuvers his stack of files.
JOSH
Whoa – oh, sorry -
PASSENGER (a bit miffed)
No problem.
JOSH
Thanks.
JOSH tries to stuff some files into the seatback in front of him, causing the woman in that seat to turn around.
JOSH
Sorry.
PASSENGER (gesturing to the seatback in front of him)
You know, there’s room here, if you want.
JOSH
No, no, no, no – thanks, I’m fine.
PASSENGER (referring to JOSH’s lap table)
A lot happening over there.
JOSH
Yeah. It’s my contribution to the chaos theory. Trying to keep the experiment from escaping the lab.
JOSH leans forward and one of his files starts to fall, and the PASSENGER quickly reaches out to grab it.
JOSH
Oops, sorry.
CUT TO: INT. – MATT’S OFFICE – DAY
MATT is sitting at his desk, talking on the phone.
MATT (into phone)
Well, Great Britain has always been first among friends, and I look forward to continuing our nation’s special relationship. (pause) I thank you for your call, Madam Prime Minister.
We hear a click and dial tone. We see RONNA is helping MATT make the calls, listening in on another phone.
MATT
Who’s next? (as RONNA turns a page of her notepad) Oh, that phone sheet’s a mile long.
RONNA
Well, traditionally the President-Elect returns all the calls from the G8 leaders. The Surinames of the world can be dealt with by your chief foreign policy advisor.
MATT
Then we’d better hire one.
RONNA
Yes, Congressman. (realizing) Mr. … Sir.
MATT smiles.
CUT TO: INT. – CAR INTERIOR – DAY
A DRIVER is taking JOSH somewhere in Los Angeles. He keeps looking at JOSH in the rear view mirror. JOSH, a thick briefcase on his lap, is intently tapping away at his Blackberry device.
DRIVER
I’ve seen you on TV.
JOSH
Yeah?
DRIVER
You look younger.
JOSH
Uh, TV ages you, it’s the lighting.
DRIVER
I meant on TV you look younger.
JOSH
Okay.
DRIVER
I voted for the other guy.
JOSH
Yeah, a lot of people did.
DRIVER
Didn’t want my taxes raised.
JOSH (clears throat)
We’re not gonna raise your taxes.
DRIVER
Well, Vinick was gonna cut ‘em.
JOSH
Uh, not for you – for the guys you drive around.
DRIVER
Like you?
JOSH
Hey, you think I could afford to travel like this on my own?
DRIVER
You just let the American public pay.
JOSH
We almost there?
CUT TO: INT. – OFFICE BUILDING – DAY
The elevator opens and JOSH steps out. He looks one direction, then heads the other way. He walks briskly into a busy office.
CUT TO: INT. – MATT’S OFFICE – DAY
MATT is continuing with his calls to world leaders, RONNA listening in by his desk.
MATT (into phone)
Thank you, Chancellor, the German-US relationship couldn’t be more important, both within and independent of the EU. (pause) Oh, I very much look forward to our working together, sir. Bye. (hangs up) Next.
RONNA
Russian President Chigorin. (MATT gives RONNA a look) He’s one of the G8s.
MATT
He’s also a leader of a nation we may find ourselves exchanging hostile fire with any minute. (beat; with a nod) Call him.
RONNA begins dialing.
CUT TO: INT. – CONFERENCE ROOM – DAY
A group of well-dressed executives are meeting around a large table. One of them is speaking.
MAN
It’s a general partnership, so they’re looking at a prolonged windup.
WOMAN
Well, you told them they were liable for all new business until notice of dissolution has been given to all their creditors?
MAN (sarcastically)
Nah … ‘cause I’ve only been doing this for 28 years. Look, Leiter is hell-bent on a dissolu -
A noise at the door causes him to stop.
MAN
I’m sorry, can we help you?
JOSH comes through the door. One of the executives swings his chair to see who it is. That executive is SAM SEABORN. JOSH and SAM look at each other for a moment. SAM spins back around to the table.
SAM (taking a breath)
If you’ll all excuse me for a moment.
SAM rises and walks to JOSH at the door.
SAM
I thought you’d never call.
They both walk out of the conference room.
SMASH CUT TO: MAIN TITLES.
END TEASER.
***
ACT ONE
FADE IN: EXT. – OFFICE BUILDING – DAY
JOSH and SAM are walking out of the building into a plaza.
JOSH
You knew you’d hear from me.
SAM
Gave me a chance to hone my turndown.
JOSH
That’s why I didn’t do it over the phone.
SAM
Your showing up does have a nice nostalgic symmetry -
JOSH
Style points.
SAM
If nothing else.
JOSH
Substance, too. This guy’s the real deal.
SAM
You said that last time.
JOSH
Yeah, look how right I was. (beat) Tell me you don’t miss it.
SAM
I don’t miss it.
JOSH
Liar.
SAM (referring to himself)
Attorney.
SAM and JOSH take seats at a table on the plaza.
SAM
An amazing thing, what you did.
JOSH
Well, that’s the easy part. It’s what you do with it that counts.
SAM
You know how much I’m making now?
JOSH (sighs)
It’s gonna make me wanna puke.
SAM
Not make you want to. You’ll actually puke.
JOSH
So you can afford to come back to Washington and work for a government wage.
SAM
I can afford to do good work right here. You wouldn’t believe what I’ve gotten the firm to do, you should come work with me.
JOSH
Democratic House, we never had that.
SAM
Republican Senate.
JOSH
Movable.
SAM
Conceivably.
JOSH
I almost lost, though … you know? Makes you appreciate the shot.
SAM
I can’t do it.
JOSH
It can’t just be the money.
SAM
There’s my love life.
JOSH
That’s a movable feast.
SAM
Not entirely. I’m gettin’ married.
JOSH
Well, I’ve heard it before.
SAM
Nice!
JOSH
I mean, congratulations, is what I mean.
SAM
What about your life? (JOSH stares at him) What was I thinking?
JOSH
I’ve been somewhat busy!
SAM
That explains the -
JOSH
The what?
SAM
Your, general …
JOSH
What, the, the, it’s the hairline, isn’t it?
SAM
It’s retreated.
JOSH
It’s – routed. Like Napoleon out of Moscow.
SAM
There’s also a pallor issue.
JOSH
You live in melanoma central. ‘Healthy glow’ turns out to be oxymoronic.
SAM
Look – I’d be glad to help with the inaugural speech.
JOSH
Great, but that’s not what I flew out here to ask. Deputy Chief of Staff. Your me to my Leo.
SAM has a look of interest flit across his face.
JOSH
Think about it.
SAM (shaking his head)
Josh …
JOSH
At least give me that, I did -
SAM
Fly all the way out here?
JOSH
It’s how much I want you, I’m willing to channel my mother.
SAM
I’ll think about it.
JOSH
Great.
Beat.
JOSH
You done?
SAM
Josh -
JOSH
What’s to think about, really?
SAM
For one thing, whether I wanna … end up lookin’ like you.
JOSH sits there, looking worn.
CUT TO: INT. – OVAL OFFICE – DAY
CJ is meeting with BARTLET.
CJ (handing him a folder)
The numbers for the San Andreo cleanup won’t make you happy.
BARTLET (standing, heading to his desk)
Mmm, wait’ll the Santos folks get a load of the figures for Kazakhstan, they’ll demand a recount.
CJ
Santos is coming by for an in-depth Sit Room briefing on the intervention.
BARTLET
Okay. I want you to be as helpful as possible to the transition team. Transitions are bumpy at best, even when the incoming and the outgoing administrations are of the same party. And I don’t wanna hear of any pranks. Cutting of cables to computers and such.
CJ
That turned out to be apocryphal.
BARTLET
No apocrypha, either, we’re gonna leave with some class. (a knock at the door) Yeah!
DEBBIE (entering, carrying a wad of tissues and considerably stuffed up)
Sir, Marine One is waiting.
BARTLET
Yeah, it’s not going anywhere without me. Thank you, CJ.
CJ
Thank you, Mr. President.
CUT TO: INT. – CAR INTERIOR – DAY
JOSH is back in the same car as before, on his way back to the airport.
DRIVER
You just come out here for the day?
JOSH (still working on his Blackberry)
Uh, yeah -
JOSH makes a call on his Blackberry and puts it to his ear.
DRIVER
Expensive.
JOSH
I got a frequent flyer thing. (into phone) Hey, it’s me.
DRIVER
Yeah, I got clients who come out for the day just to get their hair cut -
JOSH (to DRIVER)
Yeah, I didn’t get a haircut. (into phone) Uh, no, I, I, I, I wasn’t talking to you.
DRIVER
They go shopping -
JOSH (to DRIVER)
Um, you know what, I’m on the – phone.
DRIVER (smugly)
Alright.
JOSH (into phone)
Tell me this novel you sent me isn’t really my call sheet.
CUT TO: INT. – SANTOS TRANSITION OFFICE – DAY
OTTO is at the other end of the phone.
OTTO (into phone)
It’s not, two more pages came in since then. Mostly congratulations.
JOSH (VO, on phone)
They’re not congratulatory, they’re predatory.
Back to JOSH in the car.
JOSH (into phone)
They’re sniffing around for a job. It’s – it’s like I’ll say, ‘Oh, yeah, Jim Blier -
Back to OTTO.
JOSH (cont., VO, on phone)
- he’d make a good Director of Intergovernmental Affairs.’
OTTO (into phone)
Uh, on that subject, any thoughts as to my position in the Santos administration?
Back to JOSH in the car.
JOSH (into phone)
Yeah, you’re on the short list for VP.
Back to OTTO.
JOSH (cont., VO, on phone)
Uh, set up a meeting with -
Back to the car.
JOSH (cont., into phone)
- Lou for when I get back.
OTTO (VO, on phone)
Yeah.
CUT TO: INT. – SANTOS HOTEL SUITE – DAY
DONNA and HELEN are going over pictures and floor plans of houses.
HELEN
They’re all mansions!
DONNA
Fit for the incoming First Family.
HELEN
This kitchen is bigger than the house I grew up in.
DONNA
The bedrooms are lovely.
HELEN
Yeah – just not sure they’re all in the same time zone.
DONNA (handing her another binder)
Here’s one, this looks smaller.
HELEN (chuckling)
It’s palatial!
DONNA
If you don’t like these there are half a dozen more. (DONNA’s phone rings) Excuse me, ma’am.
HELEN is taken aback.
HELEN
Did you just ‘ma’am’ me?
DONNA
I, I seem to have.
HELEN
Don’t do that again. (she chuckles)
DONNA (into phone)
Hello.
We are back to JOSH in the car.
JOSH (into phone)
Hey!
Back to DONNA.
DONNA (into phone)
Hey.
JOSH (VO, on phone)
How you doing?
DONNA (into phone)
Okay.
Back to the car.
DONNA (cont., VO, on phone)
What did Sam say?
JOSH (into phone)
Uh, he’s thinking.
DONNA (VO, on phone)
That’s good.
JOSH (into phone)
Yeah, I guess.
Back to DONNA.
DONNA (into phone)
You didn’t expect him to say ‘yes’ just like that.
Back to the car.
JOSH (sighs, into phone)
Kinda.
DONNA (VO, on phone)
I’m sure he’s -
Back to DONNA.
DONNA (cont., into phone)
- got stuff to figure out.
Back to the car.
JOSH (into phone)
What stuff? It’s service to the President, what stacks up against that?
Back to DONNA.
DONNA (into phone)
Not everyone’s like you, so -
Back to the car.
JOSH (into phone)
Dedicated?
Back to DONNA.
DONNA (into phone)
Monomaniacal.
Back to the car, where we see JOSH looking a bit offended by that term. Then back to DONNA.
DONNA (into phone)
Was there, um – something else?
Back to car. A long pause, with JOSH looking a bit uncomfortable. Finally -
JOSH (into phone)
There must’ve been something. (beat) Oh, yeah, um - are you gonna be around?
Back to DONNA.
DONNA (into phone)
When?
Back to the car.
JOSH (into phone)
You know, generally.
DONNA (VO, on phone)
Yes.
Back to DONNA.
DONNA (into phone)
Generally, I, I’m – gonna be around.
Back to the car.
JOSH (into phone, a bit strained)
At some point, we should probably -
Back to DONNA.
DONNA (into phone)
Yeah.
Back to the car.
JOSH (into phone)
- talk.
Back to DONNA.
DONNA (into phone)
That’d be good.
Back to the car.
JOSH (into phone)
About, you know, at some point -
Back to DONNA.
DONNA (into phone)
‘At some point’d be good.
Back to the car. JOSH is a bit shaky now.
JOSH (into phone)
Okay, then. Okay.
Back to DONNA.
DONNA (into phone)
Have a good flight.
Back to the car.
JOSH (into phone)
Yeah, you too. (realizing what he said) I mean, not – not ‘you too.’ Obviously.
Back to DONNA.
DONNA (into phone)
Bye. (hangs up)
CUT TO: INT. – WHITE HOUSE LOWER LEVEL – DAY
MATT is being led to the Sit Room by an officer. The officer uses his hand print to gain access to the Sit Room. We hear a voice say, ‘He’s here now, ma’am.’ MATT walks through the door. Inside are CJ, HUTCHINSON, NANCY McNALLY, and several other officers and advisers. Maps of Kazakhstan are on display on the wall.
CJ
Mr. President-Elect.
MATT
CJ. Everyone.
CJ
Secretary Hutchinson and Dr. McNally will catch you up on the current situation in Kazakhstan.
HUTCHINSON (as MATT paces behind the table, working his way towards the maps)
Uh, we’re approaching full deployment with 80,000 ground and 30,000 support personnel taking position in a buffer zone around Astana between the Russian and the Chinese forces. The last of our troops are staging out of Manas Air Base in Krygyzstan, as well as the 172nd Stryker Brigade.
McNALLY
C-130s are airlifting them to our forward base in Ayaguz.
HUTCHINSON
M1A2 Abrams tanks from the First Armored Division in Germany are being flown directly into Ayaguz by C-5 Galaxies -
MATT (now seated)
Those only carry two tanks per sortie.
HUTCHINSON
Flying 15 to 20 sorties per day.
MATT
The, uh, no-fly zone?
McNALLY
Three hundred miles wide, 20 to 30 sorties per day.
HUTCHINSON
F-16s and F-15s, forward deployed to Manas and Ayaguz, F-22As out of Langley.
MATT
Air refueling, KC-135s?
McNALLY
Out of Incirlik Air Base, Turkey.
MATT
Situation on the ground?
HUTCHINSON
Thus far, no incidents reported.
CJ
But also, so far, no pullback of Russian and Chinese forces.
McNALLY
But they have stopped advancing.
MATT (beat)
Then what?
HUTCHINSON
That’s up to the Russians and the Chinese.
MATT (beat)
Well, I can’t say I care very much for that answer. Our guys are supposed to just sit there with targets on their backs and hope some trigger-happy Russian noncom, who’s abused his vodka ration, doesn’t get reckless or bored, or just stir-crazy stupid and decide to start World War III. (beat) I have a problem with that, I have a problem with this entire adventure – as I’ve already expressed to the President. Are the parties negotiating?
McNALLY
Our deployment is intended to drive them to the table.
MATT
But they’re not – at present.
CJ
Still posturing.
MATT
Half a million troops is a hell of a posture. (beat) Third party contact? Anything?
CJ
Not at present.
MATT
And we would know ...
HUTCHINSON
We are paying somewhat careful attention.
MATT (standing)
Thank you – all. For your time.
MATT walks out. Everyone takes a moment.
McNALLY
The NSA picked up the President-Elect’s congratulatory phone call with the Russian President.
CJ (surprised)
We’re tapping his phone?
HUTCHINSON
In the current crisis, the NSA’s monitoring all contact with the Russian and Chinese governments as a matter of course.
CJ
And?
McNALLY
The Santos call contained nothing improper.
CUT TO: INT. – JOSH’S APARTMENT – NIGHT
JOSH opens the door and walks in, exhausted. He groans softly, drops his head, and takes a deep breath. He then drops his bags on the floor, takes off his jacket, and collapses on the sofa. Then - a knock at the door. JOSH’s eyes fly open. He pushes himself up, groaning, and makes his way around the bags on the floor to the door. JOSH opens the door to find DONNA standing there.
DONNA
Hi.
JOSH
When I said we needed to talk, I wasn’t necessarily thinking about tonight, I’m, kinda fried.
DONNA (walking up to JOSH)
Who said anything about talking?
DONNA moves in and kisses JOSH passionately. He returns the kiss, trying to take DONNA’s coat off as they move past the door. DONNA tries to shut the door with a foot and a hand, and with help from JOSH’s foot the door slams shut.
CUT TO BLACK.
END ACT ONE.
* * *
ACT TWO
FADE IN: INT. – JOSH’S APARTMENT – EARLY MORNING
It is the next morning. JOSH, in his underwear, is sitting at the table working on his laptop. DONNA appears in the doorway, putting on earrings.
DONNA
Morning, almost.
JOSH
On the education plan, do we hit full-on, or do we step it out? Start with teacher tenure – get some traction before we try extending the school year? (as DONNA walks through the apartment, getting her scarf and things) These conservatives are already laying for us, they’re comparing it to avoiding the word ‘Christmas,’ which I don’t begin to understand.
DONNA (putting on her coat)
How long have you been up?
JOSH
Oh, you know …
DONNA (smiling)
I don’t, actually. Why I asked.
JOSH
A … couple hours. (as DONNA checks her phone) So, last night was, was – nice. Nice. It was, was – really nice. On the nice scale, it was way up there, in terms of, you know – niceness.
DONNA (finishing putting on her watch)
Be still and listen to me. (sitting next to JOSH) I don’t know what this is. And you don’t, either, which is perfectly fine and understandable. Whatever the buildup, it’s all happened amid absurdly heightened emotional circumstances – the election, Leo’s death, there’s been - no moment to so much as, take a breath, much less figure any of this out. And now this roller coaster’s plunging into the transition with its time-pressure demands, and then the inauguration and it’s hit-the-ground-running and first hundred days, and before you know it the midterms and the new Congress – and then we’re running again and four years becomes eight, and, we’ve never had the talk. And you can lose that look of panic in your eyes, we’re not gonna have it now, we don’t ever have to have it. (beat) But there’s a window. I’d say four weeks. (smiles) If we can’t get it together in that time to figure out what we want from each other then clearly it’s not worth the trouble. (JOSH continues to stare at DONNA, still with a tinge of panic in his eyes) Meanwhile, last night was lovely. I’ve already called a cab. You should put on some coffee and I’ll see you at the office.
DONNA stands, gives JOSH a soft kiss on the lips, and walks out. JOSH looks after her, with a ‘what just happened here’ look on his face.
JOSH
Bye!
CUT TO: INT. – SANTOS HOTEL SUITE – DAY
MATT comes out of the bedroom, putting on his jacket while carrying a cup of coffee. HELEN is still looking at binders of houses.
MATT
You like any of the houses?
HELEN
Yeah, they’re incredible. Seeing some more today, I’m sure they’ll be incredible too. Maybe even more incredible. (MATT gives her a look) The thing I find most incredible is this notion that, this is what the American people want and expect of us.
MATT
What?
HELEN
To spend the next two and a half months in some rich mucky-muck’s loaner mansion, a place he can afford to make available because evidently he has, someplace just as or even more swell to decamp to while he’s bestowing upon us this largesse.
MATT (looking at one of the binders)
Not much of a populist message.
HELEN
Not notably.
MATT
Yeah. You’re right. (grabbing his briefcase) I, I’ll have the staff look at alternatives.
HELEN
Staff?
MATT (getting his coat)
If you prefer, my minions?
HELEN (as they both laugh)
This is gonna be weird.
MATT
Oh, come on, as Congressman I had staff, as the Mayor -
HELEN
Very weird. (she sits on the sofa and sighs) Donna ma’amed me.
MATT (grinning)
First Lady.
HELEN
In waiting. Makes me sound like something out of ‘The Lady Of Shallot.’ (MATT sits next to her, she grabs his arm and snuggles close) You get all the cool names.
MATT
Mr. President?
HELEN
Mmm -
MATT
Commander in Chief -
HELEN
That one, that’s kinda hot.
MATT
Yeah?
HELEN
Mmm – got time for a little incursion?
MATT (looking at his watch)
Ohh -
HELEN (pushing his arm down)
No!
MATT
Not even for a surgical strike.
HELEN
I had in mind more of shock and awe.
MATT
Oh, yeah? After 15 years of marriage, I’d be shocked if you were awed.
They smile and kiss. HELEN swats MATT’s butt as he stands to leave.
CUT TO: INT. – TRANSITION OFFICES – DAY
RONNA opens the door to JOSH’s office, looking for something.
RONNA
The Congressman find his glove?
BRAM
Uh, no – but the President-Elect did.
RONNA
I did it again?
OTTO
You did it again.
RONNA (with a disappointed look)
Ohh – (as the door opens behind her, surprised) Oh! God!
JOSH (coming out of his office, holding his Blackberry)
What?
RONNA
I didn’t even know you were here.
BRAM
What time’d you get in?
JOSH (groggily)
6:00, 6:15.
OTTO
Whoa.
JOSH (getting an antacid)
Yeah, travel threw me, I was an hour off.
RONNA
Usually, 7:00-ish?
JOSH
5:00-ish. (tossing down an antacid) Get me a meeting with Braden.
RONNA, BRAM, and OTTO all look uncertain. JOSH walks slowly to OTTO.
JOSH
This doesn’t reflect well on your hopes for advancement.
OTTO (suddenly realizing)
Congressman Braden! Ranking Democrat on Ways and Means, takes over the chairmanship in the new Congress.
JOSH
Any time’s good, as long as it’s 3:00 today.
CUT TO: INT. – MATT’S OFFICE – DAY
An aide ushers in MATT and JOSH. JOSH is engrossed in his Blackberry.
JOSH
Goodwin’s coming over at 9:00.
MATT
Hmmm. You like Babish for AG?
JOSH
He just decamped to Brayton/Connelly.
MATT
Uh, to be Attorney General, I, I think you come back. (handing coat to the aide) Thank you.
JOSH
He’s smart and tough, could be a bumpy confirmation.
MATT
What, the MS, Toby Ziegler leak?
JOSH
They were both handled by the book, but – if they want to make some noise …
MATT
Yeah, and they will. Just for practice.
JOSH is sitting staring at his Blackberry. MATT notices.
MATT
But he gets confirmed, right?
JOSH
Yeah, more of a problem for Bartlet than for us. Last licks – uh, it’d be nice to have an Attorney General that didn’t hate us.
MATT
How’d you guys live with it?
JOSH
Good question. (still looking at the Blackberry)
MATT
Josh -?
JOSH
Yeah?
MATT
How’s the, uh, White House staffing going?
JOSH
Uhhh, set Crandall to head DPC, courtesy call to Graden later to bless Vukovich for legislative liaison. How was the Kazakhstan briefing?
MATT
It’s a mess, and they’re depositing it on our doorstep.
JOSH
Can’t do anything about it until we take office.
A knock at the door and RONNA enters.
RONNA
Excuse me, sir. Josh? Your meeting with CJ?
JOSH (standing)
Yep.
MATT
Thanks, Josh.
JOSH (exiting)
Thank you, sir.
MATT
Ronna?
RONNA
Yes?
MATT
I need you to get Goodwin for me.
RONNA
Yes, sir.
MATT
And there’s one other international call that I wanna return.
RONNA
Of course, sir.
MATT
President Lian.
RONNA
Uh – China’s not one of the G8 countries.
MATT
I’m aware.
RONNA
Right away, sir.
RONNA exits. MATT sits with a thoughtful look.
CUT TO: INT. – WHITE HOUSE FOYER – DAY
CJ and JOSH are walking through the foyer.
CJ
Per the President, we put out a directive that White House personnel be as helpful as possible to the incoming Santos team.
JOSH
No desk drawers superglued shut?
CJ
That was urban legend.
JOSH
First day, I needed a crowbar.
CJ
Well, none of that.
JOSH
The President-Elect would like to move his family into Blair House.
CJ
Shouldn’t be a problem, I’ll have Margaret get right into it.
JOSH
I appreciate it.
CJ
See how much fun this is gonna be? Most of it’s gonna be pretty easy, I mean it’s not like you don’t know your way around this place. But if any of your people wanna come hang out with their counterparts for a couple of hours, I’m sure it can be worked out on an individual basis. I’ll have Margaret designate a point person you can run those sort of requests through.
They have reached CJ’s office. JOSH looks around as they move to sit.
CJ
You’re rearranging the furniture in your head, aren’t you?
JOSH
No, don’t – you ever thought of putting the, desk over there?
CJ (chuckling)
Come January 20th, you can have it moved daily. Like alternate side of the street parking. The inauguration?
JOSH
Yeah, we need more VIP tickets for the parade.
CJ
The President has a lot of people to thank.
JOSH
New administration. We need to curry favor. The future trumps the past.
CJ
We can give some of the President’s allotment to the President-Elect, the key word being ‘some.’
JOSH
Contingencies …?
CJ
In case of snow, the military task force will have plows, coats, hot beverages -
JOSH
Toddies? Hot buttered rum?
CJ
Coffee and cocoa.
JOSH
They call that a party?
CJ
Injuries, standard military paramedic procedure, scoop and move. If one of the 389 horses should keel over, there’ll be a team of veterinarians and a forklift standing by.
JOSH
Forklift?
CJ
Which should be a lovely sight for the children in the crowd.
JOSH
We should have the Supreme Court in clown makeup in case we have to send them in.
CJ
A memo outlining everything will be on your desk by this afternoon. (standing, handing JOSH a folder) And obviously, don’t hesitate to, et cetera, et cetera.
JOSH
Thanks. (beat) So I’m trying to bring Sam back in.
CJ
Getting together the old band.
JOSH (standing)
Goes without saying, any job you want.
CJ
Oh … (chuckling)
JOSH
I’m dead serious.
CJ
Very kind. (clears throat)
JOSH
Should we talk about this?
CJ
I have no idea. No.
JOSH
Well, I’m not done asking.
CJ
Well, I’m done answering for the moment.
JOSH
I’ll have someone call Margaret about the Blair House thing.
CJ (as JOSH moves to the door)
Has your boss said anything to you about Kazakhstan?
JOSH
Just that he’s not crazy about what you guys are doing.
CJ
I assume it goes without saying that the President expects the President-Elect to keep whatever reservations he has about this policy to himself during the transition?
JOSH (beat)
Goes without saying.
CJ nods as JOSH exits.
CUT TO: INT. – TRANSITION OFFICES – DAY
DONNA is seated at a desk, talking on the phone.
DONNA (into phone)
To comment on any VP name would be speculating without speculation. Guess if you’re gonna get me to do that. (beat; then scoffing) I promise to tell you just as soon as we decide to tell you. (beat) If you’ll excuse me, I have someone else to equally exasperate on the other line. (beat) Thanks. (pushing button on phone) Hello? (beat) Yes, sir. Of course. (hangs up)
DONNA stands and walks to MATT’s office, knocking on the door.
MATT (at his desk)
Come in, Donna.
DONNA (entering)
Mr. President-Elect.
MATT
Josh seem all right to you?
DONNA
Uh, a, a little tired.
MATT
He looks like a zombie.
DONNA (chuckling)
He may be going through a bit of an undead phase.
MATT
So, you’ve seen him like this before.
DONNA
Hard to say, he, he can get, uh, pretty tunnel-visioned.
MATT
I, I, I think he needs to power down, a little. Is he seeing anybody, is he having any fun?
DONNA (taken aback)
Sir?
MATT (standing)
Uh, it, uh, it’s weird, uh …
DONNA (with a stricken look)
No, no, uh, I have no idea.
MATT
Yeah, I’m just worried about him.
DONNA
That’s just him, truly, he’s just – amped up to a particular peak of Joshness.
MATT (backing away to his desk)
Thank you.
DONNA nods and heads for the door.
MATT
Don’t tell him I, I asked.
DONNA
Oh, of course not, sir. (exits)
CUT TO: INT. – OVAL OFFICE – DAY
CJ knocks at her door and enters, followed by NANCY McNALLY. BARTLET is at his desk, looking over a document.
CJ
Mr. President -
BARTLET
Do you know we have as many diplomats in Germany, population 80 million, as we do in India, population of over one billion? Does that sound like a sensible allocation of diplomatic assets for the 21st century?
CJ
It does not, sir, we have a problem.
McNALLY
NSA monitors picked up a phone conversation between President-Elect Santos and Chinese President Lian.
BARTLET (grimly)
Yeah?
CJ
Sir, you’re not gonna like what he said.
CUT TO BLACK.
END ACT TWO.
* * *
ACT THREE
FADE IN: INT. – JOSH’S TRANSITION OFFICE – DAY
JOSH is fighting to get a packet of Alka-Seltzer opened and put into a glass of water. Once he does, he gulps it down. We then see him putting in eye drops, followed by him opening a bottle of antacid and drinking from it. The audio crossfades into JOSH interviewing a MAN in the office.
JOSH (focused on his Blackberry as he does the interview)
Bartlet’s NEC directors were working with a guy who had a Nobel Prize in economics, so it was a, bit of a challenge.
MAN
So I’ve heard.
JOSH
President-Elect won’t always agree with what he’s told, but it won’t devolve into a 40-minute lecture on all the post-Keynesian macroeconomic reasons why you’re wrong -
There’s a knock at the door and OTTO leans in.
JOSH (cont.)
Everyone says the same thing starting out, ‘we’re gonna play error-free ball.’ But then the unforeseen happens, the unavoidable – what matters then is how good an audible you call.
OTTO is trying to signal to JOSH that he has a call.
JOSH (cont.)
Difference between a, a successful presidency and a historical footnote is … how well you roll with the punches, just to complete my tour of sports metaphors. (looking at OTTO)
OTTO
CJ Cregg’s on the line.
JOSH (to MAN)
Thank you, for coming in, Howard. We’ll let you know.
The MAN stands and exits.
OTTO
You let them talk, too, right?
JOSH (still working on the Blackberry)
Sassing your potential benefactor, that’s an unconventional advancement technique.
OTTO (opening a can of Red Bull and handing it to JOSH)
Line three.
JOSH takes a long swig from the can, then reaches over, grabs the phone, and punches the line.
JOSH (into phone)
What’s up?
CUT TO CJ walking in her office, talking into the speaker phone.
CJ
Could you come right over, please?
JOSH (VO, on speaker phone)
I was just there!
CJ
And now I’m asking you to come back.
JOSH (VO, on speaker phone)
Can I ask why?
CJ (picking up the receiver, curtly)
It’s about my asking and you complying and don’t tell me you’re busy, I’ll go you phone sheet for phone sheet.
JOSH (VO, on phone)
In that case, can we do it over the phone?
CJ (into phone)
It’s five minutes, make it, I’ll time you.
CUT TO: INT. – TRANSITION OFFICES – DAY
JOSH heads out of his office. We see LOUISE is sitting outside, waiting for her appointment. JOSH stops, tying his shoe, Blackberry hanging out of his mouth.
JOSH
Hey -
LOUISE
Hey, yourself.
JOSH
Uh, CJ’s got a, uh, bug up about something, can you wait?
LOUISE
Yeah, I’m okay to hang.
JOSH (leaving)
Okay, shouldn’t take long.
CUT TO: INT. – SANTOS HOTEL SUITE – DAY
There’s a knock at the door. HELEN opens it and lets DONNA in.
HELEN
Donna! Thanks for coming over.
DONNA (entering)
Of course.
HELEN
Can I get you something?
DONNA
Uh, no thank you, ma’am.
HELEN
Oh - thought we talked about that.
DONNA (as they both chuckle)
Due respect, you may have to get used to it.
HELEN
Comes with the territory. (pouring coffee) So I understand that I need a Chief of Staff, to do what? I am not sure.
DONNA
Again, that, uh, gets into the kind of First Lady you intend to be.
HELEN (gesturing for DONNA to sit)
Oh, please go on.
DONNA
Uh, well – there’s the activist model, with your own policy agenda and objectives. In concert, of course, with the President’s wishes but not dependent upon his staff for pursuit or implementation, a separate power base, if you will?
HELEN
Or?
DONNA
A more traditional, chiefly ceremonial presence, representing the country as kind of a hostess, good-will ambassador without any particular policy focus.
HELEN
Mmm. And those are my choices?
DONNA
The extremes. Without presuming to speak for you, I imagine you charting some middle course.
HELEN
Yeah, well, I would like you to help with that.
DONNA
I’d be happy to be a sounding board, of course, anytime.
HELEN
Well, I actually want you to help - do it.
DONNA
Sorry?
HELEN
Well, I, I need someone, and, and you know the terrain.
DONNA
You’re asking – me?
HELEN
Well, apparently not very clearly. (they both laugh)
DONNA
To be your Chief of Staff.
HELEN
I think you are extremely capable, I feel that we have a rapport -
DONNA
I, I, I’m flattered, of course. But I, I’m not sure I have the requisite experience.
HELEN
Oh, I’ve watched you these past months, my husband sings your praises.
DONNA
That’s – very nice.
HELEN
He’s gonna be PO’ed, in fact, that I’m stealing you, just to sweeten the deal.
DONNA looks a bit stunned.
HELEN
Please – just think about it. (they stand and shake hands) And, uh, just wanted to stake my claim, I guess.
DONNA
Thank you for considering me.
CUT TO: INT. – CJ’S OFFICE – DAY
CJ opens the door to her office with JOSH standing there.
CJ
Did we or did we not have a discussion only hours ago about how you people were going to comport yourselves regarding the international security situation in Kazakhstan?
JOSH (confused, entering)
I don’t know what you’re talking about.
CJ (closing the door)
The NSA reported he placed a call to China in which he apparently made it clear to President Lian he has significant qualms about this intervention.
JOSH
Back up – the NSA is bugging our calls? Did you or did you not sing an aria this morning about how the President wants a hearts and flowers transition? Wiretapping is an odd way of showing the love.
CJ
Don’t overdramatize, the NSA is monitoring all communications with Russian and Chinese governments, we’re this far from being in a state of war with one or both of them. (forcefully) You need to talk to the Congressman about mixed messages, or the President will.
JOSH
It’s not Congressman, it’s President-Elect.
CJ
Fine. Have him start behaving like it.
CUT TO: INT. – SAM’S LOS ANGELES OFFICE – DAY
SAM picks up his phone.
ASSISTANT (VO, on phone)
Mr. Lyman for you.
SAM (into phone)
Thank you. (punches a button) Twenty-four whole hours. Way to give me some space.
CUT TO: EXT. – PENNSYLVANIA AVENUE – DAY
JOSH is walking in front of the White House. He’s talking to SAM on his phone while looking at his Blackberry in his other hand.
JOSH
It’s been 28. Little credit.
SAM (VO, on phone)
You can’t count the different time zones.
JOSH (into phone)
Whatever, it’s transition. These are like dog hours, a day is like one of your human weeks.
Back to SAM.
SAM (into phone)
That’s quite a selling point.
Back to JOSH.
JOSH (into phone)
I’ve been thinking, so you’re engaged.
Back to SAM, who puts the call on speaker and moves around his office.
JOSH (cont., VO, on speakerphone)
People do this and have marriages.
SAM
Yeah? Who?
JOSH (VO, on speakerphone)
You know – theoretically.
Back to JOSH walking along the street.
JOSH (cont., into phone)
She’s an attorney, right?
SAM (VO, on phone)
Yeah.
JOSH (into phone)
Gee, I wonder if she’ll be able to find gainful employment in the -
Back to SAM, getting a cup of coffee.
JOSH (cont., VO, on speakerphone)
- lawyer capital of the known universe.
SAM
She’d have to take the bar again. Would you?
JOSH (VO, on speakerphone)
Well, I assume there are a number of things that -
Back to JOSH on the street)
JOSH (cont., into phone)
- she would do for you that I would balk at.
Back to SAM, who picks up the phone.
SAM (into phone)
She doesn’t – hate the idea.
Back to JOSH.
JOSH (into phone)
I’ll see you tomorrow.
Back to SAM.
SAM (into phone)
I still need to think it over.
JOSH (VO, on phone)
Think it over on the plane.
Back outside to JOSH.
JOSH (cont., into phone)
Not that I’m – begging.
Back to SAM.
SAM (into phone)
I don’t think you’re begging.
JOSH (VO, on phone)
Would that work?
Back to JOSH outside.
JOSH (cont., into phone)
I can do begging, the humiliation is not beneath me. Just get on a plane!
Back to SAM in the office.
JOSH (cont., VO, on phone)
Nothing’s irrevocable. If you hate it, they have return flights. Don’t make me wait -
Back to JOSH.
JOSH (cont., into phone)
They’re gonna, gonna find me in a fetal position sucking my thumb.
Back to SAM’s office.
SAM (into phone)
Okay, I think we’ve moved into begging.
JOSH (VO, on phone)
I told you, I have no threshold of embarrassment here. I’m prepared to abase -
Back outdoors to JOSH.
JOSH (cont., into phone)
- myself until you submit. She passed the bar once, right?
Back to SAM.
SAM (into phone)
Goodbye. (hangs up)
CUT TO: INT. – TRANSITION OFFICES – DAY.
JOSH enters, Blackberry still in hand. He sees LOUISE still waiting outside his office.
JOSH
Sorry, uh, one more – (to RONNA, pointing towards MATT’s office) Could you, call … ?
RONNA dials her phone.
RONNA (into phone)
Sir, Josh to see you.
JOSH (heading into MATT’s office, to LOUISE)
This will, just, you know …
CUT TO: INT. – MATT’S OFFICE – DAY
MATT is at his desk, reviewing a document. JOSH knocks at the door and enters. JOSH closes the door.
JOSH
What did you say to the Chinese about Kazakhstan? And more importantly, why aren’t you and I discussing it first?
MATT
I need to say ‘mother, may I’ before talking to foreign leaders?
JOSH
If you’re about to undercut the sitting President when we’re practically in a state of war, it might be worth kicking around.
MATT
I have serious objections to this military action. It’s ill-conceived and ill-defined. This isn’t the UN putting peacekeepers on the ground to keep African tribesmen from hacking each other with machetes. It’s placing US soldiers smack in the middle of a no-man’s-land between two modern armies, hoping they both blink! Employing American fighting men and women as the tactical equivalent to a tethered goat -
JOSH
You didn’t say this to the Chinese?
MATT
I made it clear I had concerns. What I wanted to say was that in addition to this making no tactical military sense, it is a complete strategic blunder geopolitically. It’s a potential reversion to a state of hostility with the second largest energy producer in the world in Russia. And the risk of serious damage to relations between the US and China, a relationship that for better or for worse is going to define the 21st century.
JOSH
We’re stuck with this.
MATT
It’s not just about opposing it philosophically, it isn’t working! It’s a high-stakes game of chicken designed to bring both parties to the table and it hasn’t done it.
JOSH
And you can deal with this on the day that you take office -
MATT
Which is what makes this an impossible situation. I’m going to be this country’s President in two months, and everybody in the world knows it, and meanwhile I’m supposed to just sit back and shrug – while this administration commits this country to a military situation it admits … it has no exit strategy for. (beat) It’s gonna be my problem.
JOSH
Our problem, yes, sir -
MATT
No, mine. I’m gonna be the guy in the history books whose Presidency never got off the ground because he inherited his predecessor’s 11th hour misadventure in central Asia.
JOSH
You can address that at 12:01 PM on January 20th.
MATT
Well – that’ll be too late.
JOSH
We ha – you have no choice, sir. Anything else will be spun as lack of support for our troops. And there goes all backing for anything else we want to accomplish, Democratic House or not. For now we line up behind the President, sir.
MATT is not convinced. Then:
MATT
How does anyone know what I said to the Chinese, anyway?
JOSH
The NSA is eavesdropping on all calls to Russia or China.
MATT (upset)
I want you to get me a meeting with the President.
JOSH
Everybody’s calls, sir, not just ours.
MATT
I want that meeting. (beat) Set it up.
JOSH unhappily turns and exits.
CUT TO: INT. – TRANSITION OFFICES – DAY
JOSH is coming out of MATT’s office, heading for his own.
JOSH (to OTTO)
Call CJ Cregg’s office – uh, see when the President might have time for the President-Elect. (to LOUISE, motioning her to enter) Sorry. (as LOUISE follows him into his office) O-kay, sorry about that.
LOUISE
Rough day?
JOSH
Ah – typical.
LOUISE (entering, sitting)
You love it. You live for it, you were born to do it, I’m the same way, everybody tells me to get a life, although I don’t know why, I find life to be terribly overrated. It’s actually quite boring when it’s not disappointing. Say what you will about what we do, but boring it is not.
JOSH (after downing some more Red Bull)
I know that you can parlay the Santos win into a doubling of your fee.
LOUISE
Tripling, if it figures into your memoirs.
JOSH
Nothing is gonna top this. Everything else is gonna be a letdown.
LOUISE
Letdowns that make me semi-rich, that’s a trade-off (laughing) I’m willing to endure.
JOSH (sitting)
You don’t care about money -
LOUISE
Who doesn’t?
JOSH
You!
LOUISE
Not as such -
JOSH
As what?
LOUISE
Scorekeeping, quantitative evidence that I’m smarter than you. Not you -
JOSH
Who?
LOUISE
Everybody else.
JOSH
Come on board as Communications Director.
LOUISE
Thank you. But no.
JOSH
Finish what you started.
LOUISE
I’m not interested in governing.
JOSH
Campaigning’s about promise. Governing’s about achievement. It’s, it’s tougher and a lot less romantic, but it’s not boring. I already think you’re smarter than everyone, that’s why I want you down the hall. Come on, it’s not like gettin’ a life.
LOUISE (noting JOSH’s haggard look)
That’s true, look at you. (this hits JOSH, as his eyes start to wander as he considers his situation) You have to distill the Democratic message from what we ran on, customize it, prioritize it for the first hundred days, not allow the Republicans to mischaracterize and demonize us as values-impaired -
CUT TO BLACK.
END ACT THREE.
* * *
ACT FOUR
FADE IN: INT. – TRANSITION OFFICES – MORNING
JOSH is looking over a binder, while at the same time using an electric razor. He moves the razor from his face to the back of his neck. We see SAM walking through the offices towards JOSH.
SAM (at JOSH’s doorway)
I may have forgotten about the hours.
JOSH
You’re here.
SAM
It would seem.
JOSH
Outstanding. (he grabs a huge pile of folders and puts them in SAM’s arms) Oof! Here you go.
SAM
Hey! Stop. Your sentimentality is embarrassing us both. When was the last time you took a vacation?
JOSH looks at SAM uncomprehendingly.
SAM
Vacation? Time off from labor? Thought to be restorative, salubrious for body and soul? Not to mention, mental health?
JOSH (looking at his Blackberry)
I don’t remember.
SAM
Okay, if I’m your boss, that’s really the wrong answer. (noticing JOSH’s attention on the Blackberry) Neuroscientists have found that when people who describe themselves as politically committed listen to political statements they respond only with the emotional side of the brain. The area of the cortex where reasoning occurs stays quiet.
JOSH
So those people screaming at each other on cable really can’t help it?
SAM
And guys like you and me are quantifiably a little nuts. And so, could benefit from the occasional break. You people don’t take office for another ten weeks. I think you could afford to spend one of ‘em lying on a beach somewhere.
JOSH’s phone beeps, he picks it up.
JOSH (into phone)
Yeah? (beat) Yep. (hangs up) I got a thing. (as SAM looks at the pile JOSH gave him) I’ve starred which are meetings, I’ve x-ed out which are blow-offs -
SAM (following JOSH as he heads out)
I haven’t officially said I’m in.
JOSH
Yeah, no, absolutely. (to the room) Ladies and gentlemen, Sam Seaborn, our new Deputy Chief of Staff.
Everyone claps as SAM whirls to look at JOSH.
JOSH
Knock ‘em dead, tiger.
CUT TO: INT. – HALLWAY – DAY
JOSH comes around a corner and finds DONNA coming the other way.
DONNA
You look terrible.
JOSH (sighs, putting on his jacket)
You know, I never get tired of hearing that.
DONNA
Mrs. Santos asked me to be her Chief of Staff.
JOSH (stopping, surprised)
Wow. That’s – great!
DONNA
I’m to think it over.
JOSH
I, wanted to talk to you, I, I was thinking Deputy Press Secretary, Lou’s gonna be Communications Director, so it’d be an extension of what we had on the campaign.
DONNA (beat)
One thing I know for sure is I can’t work for you. If something’s happening with us personally, it won’t work, and if something isn’t, well, that won’t work so good, either. (chuckling)
JOSH
Yeah, about that, um ... things are insane. There’s no way I’m gonna be able to get a handle on what’s going on between the two of us in the time frame you laid out.
DONNA
Three weeks, six days to go. We’ll see.
JOSH’s phone rings.
JOSH (turning to walk away)
I, I, I gotta …
DONNA watches him go.
CUT TO: INT. – JOSH’S OFFICE – DAY
JOSH is tearing through drawers frantically looking for something. He slams a drawer shut, gets up, frustrated, and starts digging through his briefcase.
JOSH (shouting)
Otto!
OTTO (coming in the door)
There’s an intercom -
JOSH (snapping)
Yeah, if I wanna use the intercom, I’d use the intercom, I can’t find my Blackberry.
OTTO
I’ve got it.
JOSH
What!?
OTTO
I’m updating it.
JOSH
I’ve been looking for it for an hour!
OTTO
Well, I just took it ten minutes ago -
JOSH
Were you planning on telling me?
OTTO
You handed it to me.
JOSH
Why would you think it would be okay for me to be cut off from the world like that?
OTTO
Well, I figured you had your office e-mail -
JOSH (advancing on OTTO)
Don’t figure, okay? Don’t use ‘initiative.’ It’s a highly overrated quality when it comes to assistant work.
OTTO
Well, I don’t wanna be an assistant -
JOSH (yelling)
You wanna know how to get to not be an assistant? By doing it great. Not by leaving your boss electronically stranded for ten minutes, it feels like an hour, this isn’t the campaign!
SAM walks into the outer office. Everyone is taking notice of JOSH yelling at OTTO.
JOSH (cont., yelling louder)
This isn’t airplanes and hotels and ‘guess where I am now, ma,’ this is grind-it-out time! It’s three yards and a cloud of dust, and if you can’t hack what I need from you now you sure as hell aren’t going to be asked to do anything more. Get the Blackberry. Now. Go!
OTTO, embarrassed, turns to head back to the outer office. SAM stands there, looking at JOSH through the window, a concerned look on his face. OTTO walks to his desk, head down, picks up the Blackberry and heads back for JOSH’s office, as everyone watches. SAM stops him.
SAM
I got it.
SAM takes the Blackberry and goes into JOSH’s office. He shows JOSH the Blackberry.
JOSH
Otto give you that, (yelling out the door) what, are you scared to face me, you little - ?
SAM
Josh!
JOSH (to SAM)
I need that.
SAM
In a minute.
JOSH stares at SAM angrily, tapping his foot on the floor. SAM slowly closes the office door.
SAM
I didn’t come here ‘cause you’re such a silver-tongued recruiter or ‘cause I got tired of summer in January. (beat) Santos may be the future this country wants. For all the partisan noises made on the margin we’re a nation of centrists and he may just be the right man with the right message at the right time and if he is … I wanna be a part of it. (JOSH is still glaring at SAM) But he can’t do it without you. Liberal Democrats are gonna try to force him left, moderate Republicans are gonna fence-sit as long as they can, you’re the one who’s gotta make this go. Who’s gonna cut through the reflexive demagoguery and timidity and make people do what they were sent here to do, actually govern. Serve the voters’ interests. Instead of – striking poses and playing ‘gotcha.’ And it’s gonna be next to impossible if you’re at your best and – what may only be news to you at this point, you are nowhere near your best. Take the vacation. I haven’t said I’m signing on, but I can tell you this … I won’t stay unless you go. One of us is getting on a plane tonight. If it’s you, you’re back in a week, if it’s me, I’m gone, adios, for good. (SAM puts the Blackberry on JOSH’s desk) Your call.
SAM turns and walks out. JOSH looks at his Blackberry, then looks away, thinking.
CUT TO: INT. – OUTER OVAL OFFICE – DAY
MATT is waiting to see BARTLET. DEBBIE is at her desk.
DEBBIE
Exciting time for you.
MATT
Very much so.
DEBBIE
Yeah, I always forget how tall you are.
MATT
Mmm.
DEBBIE
Did you play sports at Annapolis?
MATT
Football. Till I, uh, messed up my knee.
DEBBIE
What position?
MATT
Wide out. Not great speed, but, uh, pretty good hands.
DEBBIE(as the door opens and BARTLET enters from the portico)
My sister thinks that you are very attractive.
BARTLET
She doesn’t have a sister. Morning, Matt. Come on in.
BARTLET ushers MATT into the Oval Office and closes the door.
BARTLET
I understand you’ve been speaking to the Chinese.
MATT
Yes, sir.
BARTLET
How’d you play it?
MATT
You can probably just read the transcript.
BARTLET
Yeah. Sorry about that.
MATT
It may be advantageous, all things considered.
BARTLET
But seriously, I need to know exactly what you said. I haven’t seen the transcript, I didn’t want to seem – overly interested.
MATT
Well, I thanked President Lian for his good wishes, then I brought the conversation around to Kazakhstan. I portrayed myself as being impatient with our intervention, mystified as to the endgame. I might have referred to you as an ‘incrementalist.’
BARTLET (nodding)
I’ve been called worse. (He and MATT look at each other, then they both break into smiles) You may have to call me worse if this is gonna work.
MATT
It was a great idea, sir, to, uh, exploit the inherent – awkwardness of transition this way.
BARTLET
Use it to play a little geopolitical good cop/bad cop. But, you know you’re gonna have to make some really loud saber-rattling if we’re gonna pull this off.
MATT
Canadian Prime Minister Dallaire’s coming in to meet. I’ll, blow off some steam about this reckless Kazakhstan intervention, lean on my military background, make it clear that, while I wouldn’t have necessarily gone in, once our troops are there – I have no intention of just keeping them in place open-ended, waiting to get shot at. They’re deployed, I’m gonna give ‘em something to do, like roll people back across their own borders. I’ll suggest the Russians and the Chinese are going to look back on the Bartlet plan as the good old days. Which he might want to find a way to artfully communicate to them both.
BARTLET (smiling)
Sounds good. You make that case with seeming conviction.
MATT
Yes, sir.
BARTLET
Let’s hope you can scare the hell out of ‘em.
CUT TO: INT. – MATT’S OFFICE – DAY
MATT returns to his office. JOSH and SAM are waiting for him there.
JOSH
Sir, uh, this is Sam Seaborn. He’ll be covering for me this next week.
MATT
Sorry?
JOSH
Goodwin’s doing the transition, I set some senior staff, Sam knows the players for the rest. In any event, none of our candidates are going anywhere, it’s not like they’re gonna take Director of Cabinet Affairs jobs in the Benelux countries. Lou will be honing our message plan, um, I – yelled at Otto for no reason (MATT spins, surprised), I haven’t had a vacation in, well, basically, ever, and I will be better able to serve you and your presidency, not to mention, the country if I … unfog my head. It’s … Sam’s getting married -
MATT
Congratulations.
SAM
Thank you.
JOSH
Lou’s right, I have no life. And, I, I don’t know if that’s really how I want it, or if it’s, uh, just some borderline or, not so borderline pathetic, pathologic avoidance thing. (beat) If it’s, you know – okay with you.
MATT
If it didn’t involve a motorcade, I’d drive you to the airport myself.
SAM smiles. JOSH crosses his hands over his heart.
JOSH (leaving)
Thank you, sir.
MATT and SAM look at each other.
MATT
Nice to meet you.
SAM
You, too. Big fan.
CUT TO: INT. – AIRCRAFT CABIN – NIGHT
Passengers are boarding, walking in the aisles, putting their bags in the overhead compartments. We hear the PILOT over the intercom.
PILOT (VO)
Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain.
We see JOSH coming down the aisle, dressed casually, a bag over his shoulder.
PILOT (cont, VO)
Federal air regulations require that all carryon luggage …
JOSH finds his row and settles into his window seat. He sits there, exhausted, looking out the window as the PILOT’s announcement continues.
PILOT (VO)
Personal belongings should be placed in the overhead compartments or under the seat in front of you. If you need any additional information or assistance contact your flight attendant. Please refrain from operating any portable electronic devices till we are in flight and the seat belt sign has been turned off -
We see DONNA settling into the seat next to JOSH.
JOSH
Hey.
DONNA
May I just say, a truly excellent notion.
JOSH
Sam’s.
DONNA (chuckling)
Of course.
JOSH
The vacation. Going with you part was all me.
DONNA smiles, leans in, and they kiss. The camera pans over, and crossfades back to JOSH’s desk. His Blackberry is still there, buzzing and vibrating. At last the vibrating makes it fall off the desk.
CUT TO BLACK.
DISSOLVE TO: END TITLES.
THE END.
* * *
The West Wing and all its characters are properties of Aaron Sorkin, John Wells Productions, Warner Brothers Television, and NBC. No copyright infringement is intended.
The West Wing Transcript
Episode 7x19 – Transition
Original Airdate: April 23, 2006
No comments:
Post a Comment