Friday, September 25, 2026

WEST WING TRANSCRIPT: Season Seven - Requiem (S7E18)

THE WEST WING
7x18 - “REQUIEM”
WRITTEN BY ELI ATTIE & DEBORA CAHN & JOHN WELLS
DIRECTED BY STEVE SHILL

Transcribed by Walking, Talking, And Yelling At Clouds (kegofglory.blogspot.com)

Link To My Blog Post For This Episode


TEASER

REQUIEM

FADE IN: INT. – WHITE HOUSE RESIDENCE – DAY

The episode begins with scenes of various characters getting dressed and ready for LEO’s funeral. Over all of these scenes we hear a BISHOP giving a Bible reading at the service. He begins with a version of Job 19:25-27. We start with BARTLET, tying his tie. 

BISHOP (VO)
‘I am the resurrection and the life,’ saith the Lord. He that believeth in Me, though he were dead, yet shall he live. And whosoever liveth and believeth in Me shall never die.

CUT TO: CJ, wearing a black dress, putting on earrings.

BISHOP (VO)
I know that my redeemer liveth, and that He shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though this body be destroyed, Yet shall I see God: Whom I shall see for myself.

CUT TO: JOSH putting on his watch, then his suit jacket. The BISHOP finishes the passage from Job and moves on to Romans 14:7-8.

BISHOP (VO)
And mine eyes shall behold, and not as a stranger. For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself, for if we live, we live unto the Lord.

CUT TO: TOBY, finishing up with his tie.

BISHOP (VO)
And if we die, we die unto the Lord: Whether we live, therefore, or die, we are the Lord’s.

CUT TO: DONNA, also dressed in black, putting on a necklace. The BISHOP now reads from Revelations 14:13.

BISHOP (VO)
Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord: Even so, saith the spirit. For they rest from their labors.

CUT TO: INT. – PRESIDENTIAL LIMOUSINE – DAY

BARTLET and ABBEY are in the back of the limousine on the way to the funeral. BARTLET stares somberly out the window. ABBEY turns to look at him.

BISHOP (VO)
The Lord be with you. Let us pray. Almighty God, we thank Thee that in Thy great love Thou hast fed us with the spiritual food and drink of the body and blood of Thy son, Jesus Christ.

CUT TO: INT. – CHURCH – DAY

We are now at LEO’s funeral service. His casket, covered with an American flag, is just before the altar. A military honor guard stands on either side of the casket. The BISHOP stands behind it as he speaks.

BISHOP
And hast given unto us a taste of Thy heavenly banquet. Grant that this sacrament may be unto us a comfort in affliction, and a pledge of our inheritance in that kingdom, where there is no death, neither sorrow, nor crying – but the fullness of joy with all Thy saints. Through Jesus Christ our savior, amen.

We see BARTLET and ABBEY in their pew, BARTLET silently mouthing ‘Amen’ along with the BISHOP.

BISHOP
Give rest, oh Christ, to Thy servant with Thy saints -

We now see more of the people gathered in the pews for the funeral, some faces we have not seen for a while, as the BISHOP continues. First, MALLORY and her husband. Then the BARTLET daughters, ELLIE, ELIZABETH, and ZOEY. MATT sits on an aisle; across from him are JOSH and CJ, with a tear rolling down her cheek.

BISHOP (VO, under the above scenes)
- where sorrow and pain are no more; neither sighing, but life everlasting. Thou only art immortal, the creator and maker of mankind, and we are mortal, formed of the earth: And unto earth shall we return. For so Thou didst ordain when Thou created me, saying: Dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

After a closeup of JOSH, CHARLIE sitting behind him, we see NANCY McNALLY.

BISHOP (VO, under the above scenes)
All go down to the dust, yet even at the grave -

Back to the BISHOP in front of the altar.

BISHOP
- we make our song. Alleluia -

A closeup of a woman who must be LEO’s ex-wife JENNY. The BARTLETs again, as ABBEY checks on BARTLET. WILL, sitting a few rows behind ELLIE. AMY GARDNER, sitting next to DANNY CONCANNON. DONNA, next to CHARLIE behind JOSH. VICE PRESIDENT RUSSELL, behind ZOEY. CAROL, overcome with emotion. AINSLEY HAYES, dabbing her cheeks with a handkerchief. NANCY, BARTLET’s assistant. TOBY and his ex-wife ANDY, sitting together farther back. JOHN HOYNES. ANNABETH. DEBBIE. MARGARET, looking down. And then back to BARTLET, as a tear falls from his eye.

BISHOP (VO, under the above scenes)
- alleluia, alleluia. Give rest, oh Christ, to Thy servant with Thy saints, where sorrow and pain are no more, neither sighing, but life everlasting. Into Thy hands, oh merciful Savior, we commend Thy servant, Leo. Acknowledge, we humbly beseech Thee, a sheep of Thine own fold, a lamb of Thine own flock, a sinner of Thine own redeeming. Receive him into the arms of Thy mercy, into the blessed rest of everlasting peace. And into the glorious company of the saints in life. Amen.

BISHOP (as we move to a shot of the entire church from behind the altar)
Let us go forth in the name of Christ. Thanks be to God.

An unseen choir begins to sing. The music is Dvorak’s Mass in D Major, Op. 86 – V. Benedictus. The congregation stands as the honor guard moves down the aisle, preparing to lead the procession towards the door of the church. The pallbearers leave their seats to go to the casket: BARTLET and JOSH at the head, CHARLIE and BARRY GOODWIN in the middle, MATT and MALLORY’s husband at the foot. They are somber with the emotions of the moment as they pivot the casket, then begin to carry it down the aisle. We see JOEY LUCAS in one of the pews. The funeral attendees watch in silence as the pallbearers carry LEO’s casket down the aisle, the only sound their shoes scuffing on the stone.

SMASH CUT TO: MAIN TITLES.
END TEASER.
***

ACT ONE

FADE IN: EXT. – CHURCH BUILDING – DAY

The mourners are exiting the church after the service. Rows of black SUVs are parked in front, along with police cars and motorcycles, and Secret Service agents. JOSH walks out, saying ‘Hey’ to another mourner, and joins MATT, HELEN, and GOODWIN.

JOSH
The President invited some people over to the White House later, after Arlington.

MATT
CJ told us.

JOSH
You got a pretty busy schedule this afternoon, we’ll move things around and get over there.

GOODWIN
Speaker’s race is heating up.

MATT
How many are in it now?

JOSH
Three, if you count Marino. Let’s call it two and a half.

HELEN
What’s wrong with Marino?

GOODWIN
Nothing a good hair weave can’t cure.

MATT (to HELEN)
The world needs welterweights, too.

MOURNER (shaking hands with MATT)
My condolences.

MATT
Thank you.

JOSH
And Congressman Fields wants five minutes this afternoon.

MATT
We’re from neighboring districts. When I was Mayor of Houston, I practically camped outside of his office for federal aid.

GOODWIN
Last whip count, Fields had a slight edge over Sellner. If there’s any way we could solidify that -

JOSH
Well, Sellner’s got a few whips to crack, too, if you’re sitting with Fields.

MATT
Yeah, I, I need five minutes with Sellner, too.

HELEN
What about Marino?

JOSH
If this were a game show, this is when we’d hand him his lovely parting gift.

GOODWIN (shaking hands with MATT)
I’ll see you at Arlington.

MATT
All right, Barry. I’ll talk to you later on.

GOODWIN (walking away)
Yeah.

JOSH
We should be careful about meddling in a Speakership race.

MATT
I served in the House.

JOSH
We’ll just tick off the loser and anyone who supported him.

HELEN
Fields practically moved back to Texas to help us with the campaign for the last three months.

MATT
Sellner voted with the Republicans on vouchers, on tort reform -

JOSH
You wanna keep your oar out of the water. One of ‘em’s gonna be the next Speaker, left, right, or center you’re gonna have to work with him. We’re being inundated with calls about who you’re gonna name as Vice President, resumes for Cabinet, sub-Cabinet positions -

MATT
That’s what I was speaking to Barry about.

JOSH
Barry, Goodwin -?

MATT
I asked if he was willing to do it, and he said yes.

JOSH
To, uh, head the transition team.

STAFFER (coming up behind MATT)
Sir – we’re ready for you.

MATT (as he and HELEN head for their car)
He’s got some great ideas, Josh, uh, find a few minutes and have him fill you in.

JOSH watches them go, a skeptical look on his face.

CUT TO: INT. – CHURCH NAVE – DAY

CHARLIE walks down the aisle. We see TOBY still sitting in a pew, alone. CHARLIE stops by TOBY.

CHARLIE
It was a beautiful service.

TOBY
I’m just waiting for the press outside to pack up and leave.

CHARLIE (beat)
You coming to Arlington?

TOBY
Is that you asking or somebody else? (a pause, as CHARLIE looks uncomfortable) Relax, Charlie. Tell CJ I’m not coming. I’d like to, but I have other commitments.

CHARLIE
Sure. (beat) I’ll walk with you.

TOBY looks up at CHARLIE.

CHARLIE
I don’t think a picture of you and me makes the front page of the New York Times. Do you?

TOBY gives CHARLIE a wry smile, then stands up and they walk up the aisle to exit the church.

CUT TO: INT. – PRESIDENTIAL LIMOUSINE – DAY

BARTLET and ABBEY are riding back from the service. BARTLET is staring out the window, leaning his head on his hand.

ABBEY
I told Mallory that we’d go by her mother’s house for a few minutes. She seemed okay, given everything. (beat) You see Toby in the back?

BARTLET (still looking out the window)
Yeah.

ABBEY
He would have hated this, don’t you think? He’d have been mortified that we’d gone to all that trouble. (beat) Jed?

BARTLET finally turns to look at ABBEY. We see they are holding hands.

CUT TO: INT. – TRANSITION OFFICE – DAY

SANTOS TRANSITION OFFICES,
OEOB – WASHINGTON

JOSH
We only got in it yesterday so we haven’t had a chance to get organized yet. (to the room) Hello!

JOSH and MATT walk in the door to the office, crowded with desks and staffers. They stand and applaud for the President-Elect.

MATT (accepting congratulations from everyone)
Thanks. Thanks, everybody. Please. All right, stop that, now. Go on, now, everybody, back to work!

JOSH
We don’t get into the West Wing until after the inaugural, but we can see it out the window so Dave’s gonna keep an eye out – make sure nobody makes off with our FBI files before we get in there. (opening a door) This is you.

JOSH and MATT enter the office of the President-Elect, a wood-paneled, well-appointed office space with a fireplace and plenty of space.

MATT (looking around)
This’ll do.

OTTO (appearing in the doorway)
The director of the National Gallery called if you wanna pick out stuff for the walls.

MATT gives OTTO a look.

MATT
You got my messages?

JOSH
Uh, I, I vet those first, figure out who you need to respond to.

MATT
Oh, no, that’s okay, I’ll do it.

JOSH
Uh – (to OTTO) How many do we have so far this morning?

OTTO
About 1200.

JOSH nods then turns to MATT.

MATT
Let me know when you get through the ‘A’s. (OTTO grins and turns to leave) Thanks.

MATT (to JOSH)
What do you think about Swain for Defense Secretary?

JOSH (confused)
Senator Swain of Rhode Island?

MATT
Yeah. Service academies love him. Really shook things up as Secretary of the Navy.

JOSH
He’s a Republican.

MATT
A little bipartisanship would kill us?

JOSH
It’s gonna be seen as a political grab, we offer a Cabinet position to a Republican who can’t possibly take it?

MATT
Barry thought it was a good idea.

JOSH
Well – Barry is wrong.

MATT (stopping to look directly at JOSH)
Are you unhappy with Barry Goodwin as head of the transition team?

JOSH
I’m unhappy with him as de facto congressional liaison.

MATT
There is an advantage to letting Barry handle the transition. It keeps you from having to say ‘no’ to all those people that you’re gonna need when you’re Chief of Staff.

OTTO (knocking at the doorway)
Congressman Fields is here.

MATT (leaning back in his chair, spinning)
Thanks - I’ll be right with him.

JOSH is staring at MATT in consternation. MATT scoffs.

MATT
I served in the House for six years, I think I can handle ten minutes alone with one of my closest friends in Congress.

JOSH
Thank you, sir.

JOSH turns and exits. MATT sits at his desk, a thoughtful look on his face.

CUT TO: INT. – WHITE HOUSE FOYER – DAY

MARGARET and CJ are walking through the foyer heading towards CJ’s office.

MARGARET
Weren’t the flowers gorgeous?

CJ
Yeah.

MARGARET
Leo loved gardenias.

CJ
We should try to catch up on calls before this thing starts. Daley, Hutchinson, see if Ambassador Klein is still awake in Berlin.

MARGARET nods, stopping at her desk as CJ continues into her office. There is a knock at the other door. It is DANNY.

DANNY
How you doing?

CJ
Ah, okay. (looking over her desk) Uh, sorry, I’m losing stuff today. I’m fine. You?

DANNY
Fine. I’m a little early for the thing, what time’s it start?

CJ
4:00.

DANNY
So, two and a half hours?

CJ
More like three.

DANNY
Well, I wanted to make sure I wasn’t late. That was a nice service.

CJ
Beautiful.

DANNY
Majority Leader had his fly down.

CJ
Did he?

DANNY
I was gonna tell him except I never really liked him so I decided it was okay.

CJ (looking for something on a table)
Sorry I didn’t catch you at the cathedral.

DANNY
Don’t worry about it, you were swamped.

CJ
Everyone keeps thinking I have something to say and I don’t seem to be coming up with anything.

DANNY
You don’t have to. (beat, raising his eyebrows playfully) Actually, I came early … ‘cause I was hoping we could get a minute to talk, before the masses descend.

CJ
Yeah? Me, too.

DANNY
Really?

CJ and DANNY rush to close both doors into the office, CJ closing one right in front of MARGARET as she’s about to come in.

DANNY
Shoot.

CJ
Me first, why do I have to go first?

DANNY
I don’t know, I just … you, uh, uh …

CJ
Okay. Well, you know, when I came over Wednesday night, and it was late, and we didn’t really talk, we just -

DANNY
I have a vague recollection.

CJ
Did that make you feel bad?

DANNY
Bad, in a … in, in a what?

CJ
You know – used.

DANNY
For my body?

CJ
Something like that.

DANNY (grinning)
I’ll work through it.

CJ
You sure?

DANNY
It happens. Women want me.

CJ
It’s just, I know we have a lot to talk about, and I don’t wanna leapfrog any of it, but it was kind of wonderful to just -

DANNY
Not talk.

CJ
Not even a little.

They both laugh.

DANNY
You want to do it again tonight, don’t you?

CJ
I really do.

DANNY
I’ll leave the door open.

CUT TO: INT. – MATT’S OFFICE – DAY

We hear a door open and OTTO brings in CONGRESSMAN FIELDS.

OTTO
Congressman Fields.

FIELDS
Wonderful service this morning. (as he and MATT shake hands) Not so much a funeral as a celebration.

MATT
That’s true.

FIELDS
Makes me sad I’ll be missin’ my own.

MATT
And by just a few days. (they chuckle) Thanks, Otto.

OTTO (exiting, closing the door)
Sir.

FIELDS
Mr. President.

MATT
Mr. Speaker. (FIELDS scoffs) Hey, I can skip pages on the calendar if you can.

FIELDS (as they move to sit)
Well, I’m a few pages short.

MATT
How’s that?

FIELDS
I’m ten votes down. Sellner’s pulled ahead.

MATT
Well, last whip count had you at, uh, 91, Sellner can’t have more than 85.

FIELDS
He peeled away Hughes and Frazier – that brought him six more Blue Dogs, and now Schriebman’s waverin’.

MATT
So six of our most conservative members get to swing the whole election?

FIELDS
Sellner’s tellin’ everybody you’re too liberal, and I’d be a White House lackey.

MATT
Oh, more like the other way around. Half of my legislative agenda’s gonna come from you, the lobbying reform, the Medicare expansion -

FIELDS
Well, now, I need something from you. Cinkel flips if you ask him. Blinken, Carney – plus you got at least five votes on the Hispanic caucus. I know how it’ll look – President-Elect wading into a leadership battle, bail out an old friend -

MATT
That’s - how it’ll look.

FIELDS
You give Sellner that gavel, and he’ll drop it smack-dab right in the middle of your legislative skull.

FADE OUT.
END ACT ONE.
* * *

ACT TWO

FADE IN: INT. – COMMUNICATIONS OFFICE – DAY

CHARLIE is working in the office previously used by SAM and WILL, and most recently used by ANNABETH. DONNA walks up to his doorway.

DONNA
Hey, look at you. Office with your name on it.

CHARLIE
Yeah. Got a door and everything.

DONNA
How’s that feel? I never got above a cubicle around here.

CHARLIE
Feels great. Not that it’s gonna last long. New sheriff’s coming in town.

DONNA
You talk to Josh? I’m sure he’d be happy to consider -

CHARLIE
What about you? (beat) Josh gonna carve out a little corner for you to settle into?

DONNA
Oh, lots on his plate right now.

CHARLIE
He owes you big. Anything short of Secretary of Commerce, you gotta challenge him to a duel.

DONNA
Pistols or sabers?

CHARLIE
I’m serious. He really hasn’t talked to you yet?

DONNA
Election Day was only three days ago. (CHARLIE gives DONNA a look) It’s complicated.

CHARLIE
You want me to slap him around a bit? I could round up a few guys from the old neighborhood.

DONNA (smiling, heading for the door)
People are starting to gather in the lobby for the thing.

CHARLIE
Josh really hasn’t asked you to -?

DONNA
Come on, Charlie. Buy a girl a drink.

CHARLIE grabs his jacket and follows DONNA.

CUT TO: INT. – MATT’S OFFICE – DAY

MATT and JOSH are having a conversation about the Speakership race.

JOSH
I’m not saying it wouldn’t be great to have Fields as the new Speaker -

MATT
Look, I know it’s risky to monkey around with leadership elections.

JOSH
‘Risky’ is not the word, blackjack is risky, stock-picking is risky.

MATT
Yeah, well, I’m more of a credit-union kind of guy.

JOSH
Any scenario loses us allies. If you can conceivably work with Sellner -

MATT
If we’re annexing a small Latin-American dictatorship, sure. (a knock on the door) Yeah?

RONNA opens the door and enters, behind her is CONGRESSMAN SELLNER.

MATT
Congressman Sellner.

SELLNER (as RONNA exits, shaking hands with MATT)
Mr. President-Elect. Like the sound of that.

MATT
Couple of too many syllables, but, uh, I’ll take it.

SELLNER (chuckling, shaking hands with JOSH)
Josh.

JOSH
Good to see you, Congressman.

SELLNER
Wonderful service this morning. More of a – celebration, really.

MATT
Never thought of it that way.

All three men sit at a table.

SELLNER
I’m gaining on Fields. You control enough votes to put him in the Speakership but you’re not gonna do that.

JOSH
We’re not, doing any kind of whip count, we’re steering clear of that.

MATT
Let’s talk about the issues.

SELLNER
I won’t take orders from the White House. I won’t have the caucus dragged to the left, but you’ll always know what I’m doing and … a bill of yours dies, you can blame it on me.

MATT
Well, my bigger concern is that a bill of mine might not make it to the House floor.

SELLNER
Try me.

MATT
Okay. Lobbying reform. HR 1, first bill I want you to take up. Now, we both know my best chance to pass something big is right out the gate.

SELLNER
And you wanna waste that chance on a process issue banning martini lunches?

MATT
I want to ban all political donations by registered lobbyists.

SELLNER
Great, so they’ll just turn around and demand all their clients write checks to us -

MATT
And a ban on lobbyists directing contributions from their clients.

JOSH
Lobbyists are gonna have to argue on the merits of their bills.

SELLNER
I could argue it’s unconstitutional. Money equals speech.

MATT
Well, we don’t allow bribery – that’s speech through money, too. Which must be why you voted for lobbying reform when Fields introduced it three years ago.

SELLNER (chuckling)
When we were in the minority, damn right I did.

MATT
Now we’re in the majority.

SELLNER
By four seats. (MATT nods) We finally have a fundraising advantage, now’s not the time to switch the rules. And how does a process issue help any of us to -

MATT
If we shut out insurance industry lobbyists – it helps us pass health care reform. If we shut out drug company lobbyists, it helps us pass a real prescription drug benefit. This is the bill that lets us pass every other bill.

SELLNER
Oh, you can push for it. I’ll do my best to block it, may the best man win.

MATT
If you end up as Speaker, sure.

SELLNER narrows his eyes.

JOSH
We’re not implying that -

SELLNER
I’ll have a majority to protect. If I end up as Speaker, that is. (pause) You want me to blow our best chance to hold on to a Democratic House, first one in ten years – first bill out of the gate?

SELLNER looks from MATT to JOSH, then back to MATT.

SELLNER
I won’t do it.

MATT nods slightly, with a half-smile. Everyone rises.

SELLNER (shaking hands)
Mr. President-Elect. (beat) I hope we’ll have the chance to work together.

MATT nods curtly, as SELLNER exits.

MATT
Set up a meeting with Congressman Marino.

JOSH
You realize that Marino’s got, like, three votes. I don’t think I could get Mrs. Marino to vote for him.

MATT
He is still a candidate for Speaker. I throw my support behind him and I can’t be accused of backing an old pal.

JOSH
You know, Sellner’s not a bad barometer of what the caucus is thinking.

MATT
Maybe. But he’s a bad barometer of what I’m thinking. Ten minutes with Marino.

CUT TO: INT. – WHITE HOUSE FOYER – DAY

The foyer is set up with tables of food and drink. People are milling about. WILL is getting some food when VICE PRESIDENT RUSSELL walks in.

RUSSELL
Will.

WILL
Mr. Vice President.

RUSSELL
Beautiful service, wasn’t it?

WILL
Yes, sir, it was, beautiful.

RUSSELL
Is Santos here?

WILL
I haven’t seen him yet, no.

RUSSELL
But he’s coming?

WILL
So I’m told.

RUSSELL (sighs)
Fifty-eight.

WILL looks up, not understanding.

RUSSELL (getting food)
Leo. Makes you think, doesn’t it? I’m not that many years behind him. I already called my cardiologist, scheduled a treadmill test, EKG. Probably time to suck it up and get that colonoscopy, too.

WILL looks up again.

RUSSELL
Better safe than sorry, right? (bites into a cookie)

We CUT TO a different area of the gathering, where CJ and DONNA are picking up glasses of champagne.

DONNA
You look nice.

CJ
I like to tart it up for a funeral. Hey, congratulations. (clinking glasses) Don’t think I’ve said that.

DONNA
Don’t worry about it. I mean, thanks, but – yeah … Things are getting a little lost, understandably.

CJ
You should be proud, really, you guys ran a hell of a campaign.

DONNA
Hey, can I ask you a favor?

CJ
Sure, shoot.

DONNA
I sublet my apartment to this very nervous woman from Treasury, but according to the campaign I’m done, so they don’t -

CJ
Oh, God, you’re homeless.

DONNA
Can I crash at your place?

CJ (beat, taken aback)
Tonight?

DONNA
I’ll sleep on the couch, I’m quiet and clean, like, obsessively.

CJ
Of course, no, sure. Er, not the couch, I’ve got a guest room with a lot of crap in it but I’m sure there’s a bed in there somewhere.

DONNA
You’re sure?

CJ
No, of course. Any time.

DONNA
I, I really appreciate it.

DONNA walks away. DANNY, across the room, catches CJ’s eye and smiles. CJ looks back, a bit ruefully.

CUT TO: INT. – WHITE HOUSE RESIDENCE SITTING ROOM – DAY

BARTLET is staring out the window, distracted, deep in thought. ABBEY appears behind him.

ABBEY
Jed? (pause) Jed? You ready?

BARTLET (stirring)
What?

ABBEY
People are arriving downstairs. (now at BARTLET’s side) We don’t have to stay long. You can just give me a signal, we’ll make a quiet exit.

BARTLET
Quiet exit?

ABBEY
Well, as quiet an exit as the leader of the free world can make.

BARTLET nods, and slowly turns to exit with ABBEY, picking up his suit jacket as he goes.

CUT TO: INT. – MATT’S OFFICE – DAY

MATT and JOSH are standing by the desk, MATT is writing on some papers. There’s a knock at the door.

MATT
Ronna?

RONNA (opening the door)
Congressman Marino is here.

MATT
Yeah, bring him in.

MARINO (entering)
Mr. President-Elect.

MATT (shaking hands)
Jim.

MARINO
That was a remarkable service this morning. Really more of a -

MATT
Celebration.

MARINO
Absolutely, I thought so, too.

MATT (gesturing to sit)
Let’s, uh, talk about your candidacy.

MARINO
For – Speaker?

MATT
Well, you do realize you’re a candidate for the job.

MARINO
But I’m a, good 80 votes behind Fields or Sellner, the deficit hawks talked me into this. I’m just running to make a point.

MATT
Hmm. What’s your point?

MARINO (looks to JOSH then back to MATT)
Well, I guess it’s the deficit hawks who are trying to make a point.

MATT
About the deficit.

MARINO (beat)
I suppose that would be it, yeah.

JOSH and MATT exchange a look.

MATT
What if, uh, Fields were to drop out of the race and, uh – you suddenly had, all of his votes plus about a dozen more?

MARINO (laughing)
Well, then I’d be the Speaker, wouldn’t I?

MARINO slowly looks back and forth from MATT to JOSH, realizing they are serious.

MARINO
You’re not honestly -

MATT
How would you react to a big January push for lobbying reform? A – ban on all lobbyist donations?

MARINO (confused)
Has, has Fields got some sort of health problem -?

MATT
If you were the Speaker, Jim.

MARINO
Lobbying reforms … you got it!

MATT
Even with a razor-thin majority? There could be an issue with the D triple C -

MARINO
I’d do cartwheels on the rostrum -

MATT
I, I’m not saying that Fields is dropping out -

MARINO (talking over MATT)
You name it, I’ll do it.

MATT (cont.)
- but there clearly is a perception that he’s, a … White House – lackey.

MATT looks at JOSH, who gives a small ‘told you so’ smile.

CUT TO: INT. – WHITE HOUSE HALLWAY – DAY

BARTLET, on his way to the foyer, stops in the hall, fighting back emotion. ABBEY notices, and turns to go back to him.

ABBEY (hands on BARTLET’s shoulders)
God, you’re a handsome devil. (BARTLET smiles slightly) You ready?

BARTLET
Yeah.

BARTLET and ABBEY take each other’s hand, then walk toward the foyer entrance. BARTLET takes a huge sigh as they near the door, then his manner changes instantly as he walks through.

BARTLET (to people near the door)
Thank you. Hello. (shaking hands with DANNY) Danny, how are you?

DANNY
Good, thanks, Mr. President.

BARTLET (to the group)
Why all the long faces?  Leo’d be furious to think we were all standing around feeling sorry for ourselves. We need some music, do we have any music?

CAROL (behind BARTLET)
I, I have a CD player in my office.

BARTLET
That’s the spirit! (as CAROL leaves; to DEBBIE) Hey, Debbie -

DEBBIE (as BARTLET kisses her cheek)
Sir -

BARTLET (kissing CJ on the cheek)
CJ – how you holding up?

CJ nods, then gestures with her head towards MARGARET. BARTLET goes to her. He taps her on the shoulder, then moves around to her other side, making her spin around.

BARTLET (grinning)
Hey, kid. Leo loved you. (giving her a kiss on the cheek) You know that, right? (MARGARET nods vigorously) I don’t know how he could have done it without you. You remember that trip to Seattle during the first campaign, when he couldn’t find his umbrella so you grabbed a garbage can to hold over him?

MARGARET (nodding and smiling at the memory)
And it still had garbage in it.

Everyone laughs.

BARTLET
Leo ended up with a three-course meal on his head. (more laughter)

MARGARET
Dry as a bone, though.

The camera moves in on ABBEY, watching BARTLET perform, proud of him yet watchful.

BARTLET
That Christmas, Abbey and I bought him a new umbrella and she bought him a new garbage can. (more laughter)

FADE OUT.
END ACT TWO.
* * *

ACT THREE

FADE IN: INT. – WHITE HOUSE FOYER - DAY

The gathering continues, now with music in the background, with people chatting and visiting everywhere. CJ comes to the drink table, and meets DANNY.

CJ
Hey.

DANNY
Hi. Can I get you a drink?

CJ (as DANNY pours a glass of wine)
Yes – but before you spend your time getting me liquored up, I should tell you -

DANNY
You’re a virgin?

CJ
No.

DANNY
Terminally ill?

CJ
No, but what I asked you before -?

DANNY
When you propositioned me for sex?

CJ
Yeah, that’s not gonna happen. (as the smile melts off DANNY’s face) Donna Moss needs a place to stay, I told her she could stay with me.

DANNY
Well, she can. You won’t be there, she can have the place to herself.

CJ
I can’t do that.

DANNY
Why not?

CJ
Where will I tell her I’m sleeping?

DANNY
Who cares what you tell her?

CJ
She’ll ask, and I’ll have to come up with some reason, and, and my ears get red when I lie, I stammer, she’ll figure it out.

We see DONNA across the room talking with WILL. DONNA keeps taking glances over at CJ and DANNY.

DANNY
You seriously telling me you’re passing on a night in my bed because you don’t know what you’re gonna tell Donna Moss?

CJ
It’s not about Donna, it’s about the fact that I’ll spend the rest of the afternoon strategizing about how to explain it, or not explain it, or don’t need to explain it, or don’t have an explanation for it, or even for myself. I don’t have a definition or an understanding of what it is, or where it’s going. I’ll chew the question over in my brain quietly while other people are talking to me about death or affairs of state. (takes a breath) We’ve put this off for seven years. This’ll keep another night.

DONNA (coming up to join them)
Hi.

CJ
Hi!

DANNY
Good to see ya.

MATT and JOSH walk into the foyer. BARTLET calls attention to them.

BARTLET
All hail the conquering heroes! (leading the group in applause)

MATT accepts the praise a bit uncomfortably.

BARTLET (with a huge grin, shaking hands)
Congratulations.

MATT
I am so sorry for your loss, sir.

BARTLET
It’s a loss for the entire country.

MATT
Yeah.

BARTLET
Where’s your lovely wife?

MATT
She had to get back to Houston, for the kids.

BARTLET
Lots of changes coming in your lives.

MATT
Yeah – I’m, starting to gather.

JOSH sees AMY GARDNER standing by the table.

AMY
Hello, stranger.

JOSH (walking up to her)
Thought I saw you.

AMY
There was a crowd. I didn’t want to hover.

JOSH
You could’ve rescued me.

AMY
I decided a few years back that was not an efficient use of my time. (JOSH smiles) How you holding up?

JOSH (unconvincingly)
Great.

AMY
Can I steal you for a minute?

AMY leads JOSH away. DONNA takes note from across the room.

CUT TO: INT. – WHITE HOUSE HALLWAY – DAY

AINSLEY HAYES is in the hallway. CJ comes out of a doorway behind her.

CJ
Hi!

AINSLEY
Hi!

CJ
How’s the Hoover Institute?

AINSLEY
It’s only been two weeks – but, you know, it’s only been two weeks.

CJ (as they laugh)
You gotta admire that about conservatives, that you’d name something after Herbert Hoover. Liberals are coy about our mistakes, you won’t catch us naming something after – well, pretty much anybody.

AINSLEY
Can I talk to you about a job?

CJ
How long did you say you’ve been at the Hoover Institute?

AINSLEY
Two weeks – almost, uh, one and a half … nine days.

CJ (as they walk away)
I’ve been in meetings that’ve lasted longer than that, with charts.

CUT TO: INT. – COMMUNICATIONS BULLPEN – DAY

AMY sits in a chair as JOSH paces.

AMY
So … who’s on the list?

JOSH
For which of the 6000 jobs we’re filling in the next ten weeks?

AMY
Leo’s! (JOSH grins) I have some thoughts -

JOSH
Carol Gelsey’s already on the list.

AMY
She is?

JOSH
Yeah.

AMY
That’s good. Where on the list?

JOSH
At the top.

AMY
Like number one?

JOSH
Like number two.

AMY
Baker’s number one.

JOSH
Yes.

AMY
That’s wrong. That’s a bad choice. I don’t think your first decision in office should be so myopic.

JOSH
I feel good about myself when we talk.

AMY
You don’t need Baker, you won Pennsylvania without him. Four years from now, a Congresswoman from Florida’s gonna seem like manna from heaven.

JOSH
Baker’s got the experience -

AMY
Gelsey was in the House six years longer than Matt Santos was. She was on Ways and Means when he was still roping cattle in Houston -

JOSH
She ran for Governor, she lost.

AMY
Ten years ago. Her statewide favorability’s at 63.

JOSH
Santos wants someone with serious executive experience. Governor of Pennsylvania’s as serious as it gets.

AMY (scoffing)
Come on -

JOSH
It’s not nothing. We’re looking for a senior statesman here, it’s about gravitas -

AMY
You’re looking for Leo McGarry, Josh, and he isn’t available. (beat) This is an opportunity. It’s a moment when the electorate doesn’t have to be convinced a woman can hold high constitutional office. They’ll accept it as fait accompli.

JOSH
Do you think she’s as good as Baker?

AMY
I think she’s better.

CUT TO: INT. – WHITE HOUSE FOYER – DAY

As the gathering continues, JOSH enters through a door. DONNA comes up to meet him.

DONNA
Donald Sherman’s looking for you, you should flee. He’s after Deputy Leg Affairs, he had me cornered talking about what a way he has with the leadership.

JOSH
Okay.

DONNA
He spits little bubbles when he talks.

JOSH
Is the President still here?

DONNA
Uh, he left a little while ago, but he invited a few people up to the residence later.

JOSH
What about the President-Elect, did he leave, too?

DONNA
I think he’s on the phone in the Roosevelt Room.

JOSH
Right. (a long pause, as JOSH stares ahead) Do you still have a … key to my apartment?

DONNA (as they move to sit)
I’ve had a key for six years, did you change the lock?

JOSH
No, you should come over later.

DONNA
That’s sweet, I can’t.

JOSH
Why not? I thought the twitchy chick from Treasury was in your place.

DONNA
She is – so I asked CJ if I could stay with her.

JOSH
So un-ask her.

DONNA
I can’t.

JOSH
Why not?

DONNA
She’ll ask why.

JOSH
So lie.

CJ
She’s my friend.

JOSH
You didn’t wanna ask me if you could stay over?

DONNA
I didn’t know if we were at that point.

JOSH
So it’s okay to have sex in a hotel but not in my apartment?

DONNA
It’s a step, some people get uncomfortable, I assumed you’d be one of those people.

JOSH
Uncomfortable with sex in my apartment?

DONNA
Are you really gonna try to convince me that I’m the one who finds this all awkward and hard to navigate?

JOSH
No.

DONNA
Thanks for asking, though. It’s sweet.

DONNA stands and walks away. DANNY approaches and takes the seat next to JOSH. They both look a bit glum. DANNY looks over at CJ and then back to JOSH.

DANNY
Nice wake.

CUT TO: INT. – ROOSEVELT ROOM – DAY

MATT is on the phone.

MATT (into phone)
Oh, yeah. Right. (beat) No, I’ll be back over there in a little while. (beat, as we see JOSH at the door) Okay. (hangs up)

JOSH
The President left already.

MATT
Yeah, I, I saw him go. Bob Russell selflessly offered to stay on as VP if we want him.

JOSH
Really? What’d you tell him?

MATT
I thanked him very much for his many years of dedicated public service and then I tried to get the hell away.

JOSH (chuckles)
Amy Gardner’s pushing Carol Gelsey pretty hard.

MATT
For VP?

JOSH
She’s a presence in Florida, bipartisan support in her district.

MATT
You buy it?

JOSH
Maybe. Amy’s out in the lobby if you want to hear her out.

MATT
Yeah, okay. Uh, Barry Goodwin says you spoke to him about Swain for Defense.

JOSH
Yeah.

MATT
He still thinks it’s a good idea, you disagree?

JOSH
Yes, sir, I do.

MATT
He also thinks I should round up those ten extra votes for Tim Fields.

JOSH
You can’t kick the Speakership to one of your best friends in Congress.

MATT (beat)
Don’t you wanna see lobbying reforms pass?

JOSH (getting upset)
Not if it means ramming it down the throat of everyone in the Democratic caucus, not if it means everything else we wanna do goes down in flames, sir -

MATT (standing
You shut out lobbyists’ access and it’ll never come back.

JOSH
If you don’t have confidence in my counsel -

MATT
Is this still about Barry heading up transition?

JOSH
Goodwin, the Speakership ... Swain -

MATT (sitting again)
Uh, I’m sorry if you were offended by my hiring Goodwin before clearing it first with you.

JOSH (emphatically)
Backing Fields is a mistake. White House is a political operation. My job as chief of staff is to keep you from making political mistakes, and this is a whopper. If you’re lookin’ for a yes man, I’m not it. (leaving) I’ll be out in the lobby with Amy Gardner.

MATT sits and ponders, a wry smile on his face.

FADE OUT.
END ACT THREE.
* * *

ACT FOUR

FADE IN: INT. – WHITE HOUSE FOYER – DAY

Fewer people are now at the gathering. AMY is pouring herself a glass of wine as JOSH enters.

JOSH
President-Elect wants to talk with you about Carol Gelsey.

AMY
Really?

JOSH
Yes.

AMY
You’re a good man. You have a good soul. (JOSH gets himself a drink) And nice hair.

Beat.

JOSH
How’s the, lumberjack?

AMY
He’s a wood sculptor, and he’s happy all the time which I used to find irritating and no longer do.

JOSH
Really?

AMY
He doesn’t race me anywhere.

JOSH
That’s great.

AMY
It’s civilized.

JOSH
That’s what it sounds like.

AMY
Don’t mock, you should try it.

JOSH
Sure.

AMY
I have a name for you.

JOSH (sighs)
We already did VP, if you try and staff the whole Cabinet -

AMY
No, for you. For sex, and civilized conversation.

JOSH
Sales pitch is a little flimsy.

AMY
Sarah Potrero. She’s a good friend, and you don’t deserve her but the world’s a cold place.

JOSH
We shouldn’t do this.

AMY
It’s time, Joshua. You’re approaching the age where people shake their heads and roll their eyes.

JOSH
Now you’re channeling my mother.

DONNA (walking up)
We should get up to the residence. The Post heard a rumor Max Manitoba’s up for a Cabinet post, did that come from us?

JOSH
No.

DONNA
Okay, I’ll squash it.

AMY
Do you know Sarah Potrero?

DONNA
From Justice?

AMY
Yeah. Don’t you think Josh should give her a call?

JOSH
For a date.

DONNA (turning to JOSH)
With you?

AMY
Don’t you think it’s enough already?

JOSH
I’m withering on the vine.

DONNA
Sarah’s a great idea. She’s a real sweetheart.

AMY
See? She’s inside the Beltway but outside the building, you’d have a lot to talk about but you wouldn’t step on each other’s heels. She’s ready for something long-term, you should pretend you are, too.

JOSH
Sure.

AMY (as MATT appears in the room)
It’s what the grownups do.

MATT
What exactly do the grownups do?

AMY
Mr. President-Elect.

MATT (shaking hands)
Amy, so good to see you.

JOSH (grabbing DONNA)
We’ll let you guys catch up, we will go far – far away.

MATT (as JOSH and DONNA exit)
Josh, I called Congressman Fields, asked him to come back over tonight.

JOSH (stopping)
Would you like me to be there?

MATT
I’ll be fine, thanks.

JOSH and DONNA exit.

AMY
Fields would really shake things up as the Speaker.

MATT
Yes, he would. Josh, uh, says that you have some thoughts on who should be VP?

AMY
I understand Carol Gelsey’s already on the list.

MATT
Of course, she is. I’m, uh, just not sure that she can be on top of it.

AMY
She’s qualified, she’s respected on both sides of the aisle, she helps in Florida on the re-elect -

MATT
She’ll look like the symbolic choice. It’s already a paradigm-breaking administration, I can’t walk in here and start staffing the place like it’s Noah’s Ark.

AMY (taking a beat, smiling)
The gender gap’s the only reason the Democratic Party wins elections, if only men voted, Democrats would never hold another elected office -

MATT scoffs.

AMY (cont.)
- the party’s losing women, you almost lost this race because of it.

MATT (eating)
Mm-hmm.

AMY
A little patronage won’t make the world stop turning, we’re talking about the most unrewarded constituency in the nation – I’m not getting anywhere, am I?

MATT
I think Baker’s the right choice.

AMY
I think you’re scared. That’s what’s motivating your choice, I think you find Baker reassuring.

MATT (eyebrows raised)
I just got elected President, you sure you wanna call me a coward?

AMY keeps her gaze on MATT.

MATT
Josh says that – you won’t work at the White House.

AMY
I have an agenda. I pursue it relentlessly, I’ve been known to -

MATT
Here’s what I think – I think it’s easier to throw rocks at houses than to build one. And I think you’re ready for more.

AMY
You calling me a coward, sir?

MATT shakes his head.

MATT
Director of Legislative Affairs. Fix the place from the inside. It’s what the grownups do.

MATT walks away with a sandwich. AMY watches him go with a smile.

CUT TO: INT. - WHITE HOUSE HALLWAY – DAY

DONNA and JOSH are walking, on their way to the residence.

DONNA
CJ wanted you to stop by on your way up to the residence.

JOSH
Yeah, sure.

DONNA
Sarah’s a doll.

JOSH
Stop.

DONNA
Smart, cute, nice body.

JOSH
Okay, this is getting weird. (to MARGARET) Is, is she in there?

MARGARET (who is holding court at her desk with a group of staffers)
Go on in, she’s expecting you. (to staffers) Every day, the same damn sandwich, turkey, sliced so thin you’d think he was gonna wallpaper a room with it. Lettuce, but not too much lettuce, and mayo, but not too much mayo -

MARGARET’s voice fades away as JOSH closes the door inside CJ’s office.

JOSH
You were lookin’ for me?

CJ
Ainsley Hayes approached me about the White House Counsel’s job.

JOSH
Really? Isn’t she at the Warren G. Harding Institute or something?

CJ
Hoover, but, yeah. She’s terrific.

JOSH
She’s still a Republican, right?

CJ
But she’s still dedicated and incredibly bright. I think you should get over the Republican thing.

JOSH
President-Elect’s sort of on a bipartisan bender of late – I’ll get her a meeting. I was heading up to the residence, you coming?

CJ
I was just thinking about Leo sitting over there in that chair. (beat) Weird, isn’t it? People are here one minute, and then they’re not.

CUT TO: INT. – WHITE HOUSE RESIDENCE SITTING ROOM – NIGHT

BARTLET, now dressed in casual clothes, is pouring tea and telling Leo stories. WILL, CHARLIE, and ANNABETH are sitting and listening.

BARTLET
It’s ten degrees below zero with a wind-chill factor that’d crack your spine, and there’s no way I’m leaving the van without my jacket. But Leo won’t give it to me, says it’ll make me look like I just sledded in from the tundra. (we see CJ, DONNA, and JOSH entering) Mind you, I’ve grown up and spent my entire life in New Hampshire and he’s trying to tell me my fellow citizens won’t vote for me if I’m wearing a parka. (to CJ, DONNA, and JOSH) Ah, there you are! Grab a seat, I’m telling the parka story. These two are falling asleep and Charlie’s heard it before.

CHARLIE
More than once.

CJ
New Hampshire primaries?

BARTLET
Yeah, so – Leo won’t give me the parka and we’re pulling it back and forth like two guys who are trying to raise the mast on a ship. And just as we both give it a really strong yank, Josh opens the door -

JOSH
It wasn’t me!

BARTLET
Of course it was you!

JOSH
I wasn’t there!

BARTLET
You were there! Who’s tellin’ the story, me or you?

JOSH
You, sir.

BARTLET
Then sit down and shut up. (laughter) Josh Lyman opens the door from outside as Leo loses his grip and I go flying out the door ass-backwards and end up on the street in front of 50 TV cameras.

CJ
Maybe five.

JOSH
I wasn’t there, I swear.

BARTLET
CJ, what was the headline in the Union Leader the next day?

CJ (remembering)
‘Favorite Son Falls Flat In Granite State.’

BARTLET (chuckling)
With a huge picture of me lying prone in the street, as if I’d been felled by John Hoynes’ welfare plan.

Everyone laughs, BARTLET heartily.

WILL
First time I ever met Leo, he was wearing an Italian suit that cost about as much as the space program.

CHARLIE
English, not Italian. Savile Row.

DONNA
Has he ever worn a suit more than twice?

CHARLIE
I think he barely wore ‘em once.

CJ
And those peach shirts -

ANNABETH
Apricot. He corrected me more than once. I did like those pink ones, though. Not a lot of men could get away with pulling off that color.

CJ
And Leo wasn’t one of them.

Laughter.

WILL
Ever try to pull that Davis Cup thing on anybody else?

JOSH
Oh, yeah -

CJ
Me, too -

ANNABETH
What Davis Cup thing?

JOSH
Leo used to tell these tall tales to test how gullible you were. Like how he played Davis Cup tennis before he blew out his knee.

WILL
How he hustled chess games in Washington Square Park.

DONNA
How he was a train conductor -

JOSH
Minor league baseball player -

BARTLET
If you were buying it, the stories kept gettin’ bigger and better.

CJ
My favorite was how he almost made the Olympic luge team in 1962.

ANNABETH (puzzled)
He didn’t make the luge team in 1962?

WILL
There weren’t any Olympics in ‘62.

More laughter as ANNABETH, pouting, makes her way back to her seat.

CJ
Don’t worry about it, I made it all the way to minor league baseball player.

JOSH
You didn’t think it was kinda weird that after he blew out his knee he played minor league baseball? (CJ laughs)

WILL
I made it to dance instructor.

BARTLET
No, no – that one was true. He taught me to foxtrot.

CJ
Really?

BARTLET turns to CJ with a look that says, ‘got ya.’ Everyone laughs again.

CUT TO: INT. – MATT’S OFFICE – NIGHT

MATT is going through a binder on his desk. OTTO appears at the door.

OTTO
Congressman Fields.

FIELDS (entering)
Sellner is out there workin’ the vote twice as hard. Maybe he thinks you’re gonna shove some members my way.

MATT
He doesn’t. ‘Cause I’m not.

FIELDS (swallows hard)
You convinced Sellner to back lobbying reform?

MATT
He’s worried about keeping the majority.

FIELDS
Sure, never mind the democracy.

MATT
I think he’s right.

FIELDS
Right to protect lobbyists’ ability to funnel cash into whatever -

MATT
Wrong about the bill, I’m going to keep pushing for that, but right to protect our House members.

FIELDS
Yeah, from left-wing rabble rousers like you and me.

MATT
Tim – the caucus has to pick its own Speaker or else he won’t have credibility. And I don’t see how that helps anyone.

FIELDS
You realize, if he wins, Sellner will strip me of everything. I’ll be stuck on some C-level committee on committees, midnight hearings on overstock at the Congressional -

MATT
Only if you keep fighting him for the Speakership.

FIELDS (disbelieving)
You want me to drop out?

MATT
I want you to do whatever you think is best for the party.

FIELDS (at a loss for words, finally)
Is there something for me on the Cabinet? SBA, Interior -?

MATT
We can’t afford to lose your seat. Not with just a four-vote majority.

FIELDS (scoffs)
Fill a starvin’ dog’s belly, he’ll never bite you. The difference between a dog and a man.

MATT
If you need any help with federal aid for Houston -

FIELDS (scoffs again)
Yeah. (heads for the door and angrily slams it on the way out)

CUT TO: INT. – WHITE HOUSE RESIDENCE SITTING ROOM – NIGHT

BARTLET is still regaling everyone with Leo stories. ABBEY and DEBBIE have joined the group.

BARTLET
About 15 years ago I took him on a fishing trip to help him quit smoking.

JOSH
Leo, fishing?

ABBEY
Camping – and fishing. Leo never wanted to go anywhere where he couldn’t see his car.

BARTLET
Well, he smuggled a pack of cigarettes inside his tackle box, and kept slipping off into the woods to have a smoke, so finally – I got him out on the boat in the middle of this lake and after a few hours he had a nicotine fit and starts screaming at me that he has to get back to shore. (He’s rushing through the story, ABBEY notices him getting breathless) I say, ‘No, no, we haven’t caught any fish yet, and we’re not going back until we fill up this bucket.’ Well, we’d brought a shotgun along in case we ran into any bears, Leo picks up the gun, fires it into the water, both barrels, he reloads and fires again. Pretty soon, fish are rising to the surface all around me. He calmly turns to me and says, ‘Now give me the damn bucket, please.’

Everyone laughs. The laughter trails off into silence.

ABBEY
Well, everybody – I think we better call it a night.

BARTLET
What, no, it’s early yet.

ABBEY
Jed, 10:30 is not early.

BARTLET (as everyone stands)
All right. Thank you all for coming up.

Everyone says their goodbyes, with handshakes and hugs.

WILL
Thank you, sir.

DONNA
Good night, sir, thanks for inviting me.

BARTLET
Donna. (to CHARLIE, with a long hug) Charlie.

DEBBIE
Sleep in, Mr. President, I’ll cancel your breakfast with Governor Tillman.

BARTLET
No, we’ve canceled it, what, three or four times already? I’ll be in.

DEBBIE
Okay. Goodnight.

BARTLET
Goodnight. (to CJ) Claudia Jean.

CJ (as they hug)
I really miss him, sir.

BARTLET (quietly)
Goodnight.

CJ
Goodnight.

Only JOSH is left as the others depart. BARTLET walks up to him.

BARTLET
Tim Fields for Speaker?

JOSH
Yeah.

BARTLET
Santos can’t be messing around with House elections.

JOSH
That’s what I told him.

BARTLET
Did he listen?

JOSH
I don’t know. (beat) I know I was supposed to be doing this with Leo.

BARTLET
He loved you like a son, you know that, don’t you? (beat) Leo and I are the past. You’re the future. It’s up to you now. We’re counting on you.

A long pause. BARTLET reaches out to pat JOSH on the shoulder.

BARTLET
You still got my number, don’t you? Call the switchboard any time, they’ll put you right through.

JOSH (leaving)
Mr. President. (to ABBEY, who has come back in) Mrs. Bartlet.

ABBEY
Goodnight, Joshua.

BARTLET stands and stares, thinking. ABBEY comes up next to him, takes his hand, and kisses it. BARTLET smiles and kisses her hand back.

CUT TO: EXT. – WHITE HOUSE NORTHWEST GATE – NIGHT

JOSH comes out of the Northwest Gate and walks on Pennsylvania Avenue. He stops in front of the White House, taking a moment to look at the building, lit up in the dark. His eyes welling up, he turns and walks away through Lafayette Park.

DISSOLVE TO: END TITLES.
FADE TO BLACK.
THE END.
* * *

The West Wing and all its characters are properties of Aaron Sorkin, John Wells Productions, Warner Brothers Television, and NBC. No copyright infringement is intended.

The West Wing Transcript
Episode 7x18 – Requiem
Original Airdate: April 16, 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment